DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Do Draytek modems apply interleaving at the user end?

• alucidnation
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
06 Feb 2019 15:56 #1 by alucidnation
Hi guys,

Trying to sort out ongoing issues with my ISP.

After they showed me DSL stats their end, it shows interleaving has been applied, and yet when i look at the stats on my 2862 it shows as being on Fast Path with interleaving at 1?

I have rebooted the modem to see if it updates to show interleaving but nothing comes up.

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• adrianh54
  • User
  • User
More
06 Feb 2019 19:26 #2 by adrianh54
Your modem doesn't apply anything , the DSLAM is in control.

• alucidnation
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
26 Feb 2019 07:18 #3 by alucidnation
Hi thanks.

Strangely, for some reason the router is now showing interleaving, and yet my ISP is stating that my line isn't interleaved.

All seems a bit odd to me.

More
26 Feb 2019 07:54 #4 by x64

Alucidnation wrote: Hi guys,
.... with interleaving at 1....

Interleaving of "1" is showing that the line is effectively NOT interleaved. It would show a larger number (which would be a factor of 2) if the line interleaved.

And yes, the DSLAM calls the shots as to the settings applied to tune your line (based on its observations, and those reported by your modem).

• alucidnation
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
26 Feb 2019 08:16 #5 by alucidnation
Ah ok, I thought the modem must have had some sort of input but it's just odd the differences on what the ISP sees and what i see.

Thanks/

More
26 Feb 2019 13:11 #6 by x64

Alucidnation wrote: Ah ok, I thought the modem must have had some sort of input but it's just odd the differences on what the ISP sees and what i see.

Thanks/

I don't think that the ISP is seeing anything different than you are seeing. An interleave of 1 is effectively* no interleaving. And the fact that your modem is reporting "Fast path" probably means that what is in the Interleave depth field would not be taken into account anyhow.

(* I said 'effectively' as Interleave with a depth of 1 is the equivalent of Fast path. - You could think of it as the difference between the following two equations
"a=b" and "a=b x 1" - they compute to the same thing. Whilst a and b in the equations do not refer any DSL parameter in particular, you could think of the first equation being "Fast path active", and the second "Fast path inactive with an interleave of 1")

Interleave is the process of spreading a unit of information over a wider time period minimising the risk of interference on the circuit erroring over enough of that unit to prevent it being reconstructed by error recovery mechanisms. An interleave of 1 means that the information is all being transmitted in its normal time slot - hence no interleave. I suppose that even if Fast path is active - the interleave vale needs to say something '1' would be a sensible value there as it means the same.

And on the other point - I suppose the modem does have a say, but it's the DSLAM that makes the decisions. The modem has a say by reporting its capabilities and the stats that it detects. If it's reporting those truthfully/accurately, then it's all down to the line conditions and the DSLAM's assessment of the information available to it..