Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2860 - One Way Connection Between LAN 1 and Routed Subnet

• cwager990
  • Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
25 Feb 2019 04:11 #1 by cwager990
Morning all, I wondered if anyone can help me with the particular issue.

I have one way communication between LAN 1 and my IP Routed Subnet on LAN 2,

From LAN 1, I am able to ping and connect to devices on LAN 2 (IP Routed Subnet),

From LAN 2, (IP Routed Subnet, I am unable to ping or connect to anything on LAN 1.

I have looked for the obvious I cannot see any firewall rules that would be blocking it.

The IP's in use on the routed are not in use on the router,

I have inter-lan routing enabled for them so it should work.

If anyone has any suggestions I have not thought of I would be grateful.

Thanks Chris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
25 Feb 2019 22:43 #2 by hornbyp

cwager990 wrote: I have inter-lan routing enabled for them so it should work.

... There isn't an option for "Inter-LAN Routing" for the IP Routed Subnet :?:

Doesn't traffic flow from your private "NAT'ed" LAN(s) to the "IP Routed Subnet" in the same way as it would to any other Public IP address?
If so, it would follow, that for data to come the other way, there would have to be NAT "Open Ports" defined.

I've never used the "IP Routed Subnet" ... but that would be my expectation (FWIW)

• cwager990
  • Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
25 Feb 2019 23:29 #3 by cwager990

hornbyp wrote:

cwager990 wrote: I have inter-lan routing enabled for them so it should work.

... There isn't an option for "Inter-LAN Routing" for the IP Routed Subnet :?:

Doesn't traffic flow from your private "NAT'ed" LAN(s) to the "IP Routed Subnet" in the same way as it would to any other Public IP address?
If so, it would follow, that for data to come the other way, there would have to be NAT "Open Ports" defined.

I've never used the "IP Routed Subnet" ... but that would be my expectation (FWIW)

I had also just reached that conclusion,

When I sat down and thought about what was actually happenning, I agree with the conclusion that you would not be able to route backwards to LAN 1, however you have to have the boxes ticked for LAN1/LAN2 inter-lan routing otherwise you cannot access the routed subnet from LAN1 for some reason ? do you know why ?

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
25 Feb 2019 23:51 #4 by hornbyp
No - but are you actually using the "IP Routed Subnet", or are you using LAN2 (with "For Routing Usage" ticked).

It's not entirely clear (to me!) if these would behave in exactly the same way...and might explain what's happening?

• cwager990
  • Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
26 Feb 2019 00:02 #5 by cwager990

hornbyp wrote: No - but are you actually using the "IP Routed Subnet", or are you using LAN2 (with "For Routing Usage" ticked).

It's not entirely clear (to me!) if these would behave in exactly the same way...and might explain what's happening?

I am using LAN2 with For Routing Usage Ticked, the reason for that is that need to tag the VLAN with 802.1q in order for my Layer 2 Switch which connects to the router port 6, and then uses VLAN Tagging on the Switch Trunk Port.I could perhaps change this and use the Routed Subnet on P1/P2, but doing so would need me to schedule a change control for a customer that is hosting a mail-server with me. ?