DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 2862AC manual error (I hope) (v 1.4)

• gsv3miac
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
28 Feb 2019 19:55 #1 by gsv3miac
Page 25 of the manual says that the dashboard display shows orange for 1Gb LAN ports and green for 10/100Mb ports .. is that (as I suspect) bass-ackwards? I have a Gbit switch hooked in and see green, which I would suspect should mean 'fast and dandy' .. if it is really running at 10/100 I need to get exploring!! Maybe Taiwanese use a different spectrum?

Oh yes, the same colour error seems to exist for VDSL/ADSL, same manual page, unless someone swapped my broadband supply while I wan't looking

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Feb 2019 21:08 #2 by x64

GSV3MiaC wrote: Page 25 of the manual says that the dashboard display shows orange for 1Gb LAN ports and green for 10/100Mb ports .. is that (as I suspect) bass-ackwards? I have a Gbit switch hooked in and see green, which I would suspect should mean 'fast and dandy' .. if it is really running at 10/100 I need to get exploring!! Maybe Taiwanese use a different spectrum?

Oh yes, the same colour error seems to exist for VDSL/ADSL, same manual page, unless someone swapped my broadband supply while I wan't looking

:) You're right!... Anyway - I gave up trying to get anything useful out of the manual - in most cases I considered that it barely did more that list what you can read on the GUI.

You can run the command
port status
from the command line to see the port negotiation details.

You can run simple command line commands from a terminal prompt that can be access by pressing the mixer desk slider icon at the top right of the GUI.

• gsv3miac
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
28 Feb 2019 21:45 #3 by gsv3miac
Replied by gsv3miac on topic Re: Vigor 2862AC manual error (I hope) (v 1.4)
Thanks for the confirmation (and port status does indeed confirm the truth). I think whoever wrote the manual was paid by the word .. the amount of copy and paste surpasseth all understanding, without actually revealing WTF the stuff actually does. I conclude that the Vigor 'pro' routers have now achieved a state of complexity such that nobody understands all of it any more, and the guy who wrote the manual (and many of the support staff) understand less than we do.

More
01 Mar 2019 06:49 #4 by x64

GSV3MiaC wrote: Thanks for the confirmation (and port status does indeed confirm the truth). I think whoever wrote the manual was paid by the word .. the amount of copy and paste surpasseth all understanding, without actually revealing WTF the stuff actually does. I conclude that the Vigor 'pro' routers have now achieved a state of complexity such that nobody understands all of it any more, and the guy who wrote the manual (and many of the support staff) understand less than we do.

I agree...
There are a number of times where I've visited the manual in order to understand the Vigor implementation of a feature - the detail of what a setting does, how it interacts with other router features etc. The manual has come up short most times.

I've over 40 years experience of technology, and am a third line network engineer, so I'm not trying to learn networking by any means - I need implementation details or details of proprietary features, in order to ensure that my configurations are accurate.

Two of the worst examples (two out of many) from my PoV are the documentation of the firewall (which is very different from the implementation from other manufacturers - inside out would be a good description) and of the topology of the router itself. Things such as the classification what falls into each bag of "WAN" and "LAN/DMZ/RT/VPN" are 'obvious' until you start thinking about it. Are we talking about physical interface the packet entered by? are we talking about classifying by Public/Private IP address? (these are examples - don't answer that here). It probably does not matter until you start playing with Routed public IP subnets (or mayve NAT loopback) - then the differentiation makes a difference..... (Oh and "RT" in "LAN/DMZ/RT/VPN"? Is that Routed as in the context of my previous point? (again example only - don't clarify that here)

Oh and then there is the CLI section of the manual - Only one heading in contents. 25% of the manual - no way of finding the actual command that you are looking for short of scrolling through the entire thing, or using "find" in your pdf reader and hoping you can hit upon a keyword in that section of the manual.

• hopkins35
  • User
  • User
More
01 Mar 2019 08:51 #5 by hopkins35
Replied by hopkins35 on topic Re: Vigor 2862AC manual error (I hope) (v 1.4)
The knowledgebase on the Draytek UK website is a godsend, without it and with only the manual to go by you'd be up the proverbial creek without a paddle