Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Slow download/upload using FTTP and Vigor 2832

• jarvmeister
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
07 Mar 2019 17:10 #1 by jarvmeister
Pretty straightforward issue, but cannot find any instances of it mentioned when I Google the problem.

Brand new property, with FTTP using a standard Huawei HG8110H-20.

Vigor is using the latest firmware: 3.9.0

Speedtests.net result in a meager 20Mb down and 50Mb up. The service provider has been to the property to attach their Zyxel router which tops out at 300Mb up and down. He therefore has logically concluded that the issue is with the Vigor, and I can't argue with that. He also says that he sees many Draytek devices attached to FTTP connections that demonstrate the same behavior, although he doesn't know why. I'm slightly dubious of this as I'd have thought I'd have seen more discussion on it if it were the case.

We're using the WAN2 port with sync speed set to Auto, changing it to anything else seems to render the connection either slower or completely useless.

Any pearls of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
11 Mar 2019 00:53 #2 by hornbyp
I've no experience of FTTP ... but your results seem a long way short of what the Vigor 2832 is supposedly capable of (the spec. says 300Mbps with firewall ON, same as 2860). (My 2860 manages the full 220 down of my Virgin Media connection)

What is the actual claimed through-put of your FTTP connection? (I wasn't aware 300Mb up and down, was available? I may be looking for a new ISP :wink: )

I'm assuming the speedtests are wired ... and you're using the same cable that the Zyxel was happy with? (Always worth trying another cable though - if a pair wasn't connected properly, you'd get a 100Mbps, rather than 1Gbps connection).

Other than that, there's got to be some setting, that's different between the Vigor and the Zyxel. The only one I can think of is "MTU". There's no MTU 'detect' function on the 2832, so you'd have to experiment manually. (I'll be surprised if this is the cause).

Perhaps try a few different speedtest sites and see if they're all as bad (Speedtest.net recommends using the 'app' on Windows). Is there an 'official' Openreach speedtest site?

If all else fails, you may have to raise a support call with Draytek.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.