• wdesousa
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
11 Mar 2019 13:35 #1 by wdesousa
2860n+ killing speed was created by wdesousa
Hey chaps,

We have been running Virgin Media Business Voom connected with a Hitron router in modem mode to a Draytek 2860n+.

If I speedtest from a laptop connected to the Hitron directly I get approx 385 down 15 up.
If I speedtest from the same laptop connected to the Draytek that drops to 155 down 15 up.

So somehow the Draytek is killing over 200Mbps of our available bandwidth.

I can see the Draytek is rated at: (Firewall: Up to 300Mb/s max) - is that duplex throughput i.e. 150 max down/150 max down? It makes some sense as the up figures are the same connected directly or through the Draytek?

If not - is there something obvious I need to switch off/on?

Running latest firmware: 3.9.8.4

Any guidance appreciated...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
11 Mar 2019 14:33 #2 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: 2860n+ killing speed
My 2860 (running 3.8.9.3) is capable of matching my VM Hub 3 - at 220 down/12up, so 155 seems unusually low.

I had a call open with Draytek for a long time, regarding Q.O.S. settings (you could only set it to a max of 200), which made me think there was actually some much lower limit than 300Mbps within the 2860. However, they did eventually fix this issue (15 months later!).

During discussions, one of the things they asked me to try, was the "Vector 3" firmware. I understood (or thought I did!), that these alternative firmwares only affected the VDSL modem side of things - which I wasn't using. However, I did try it ... and it did improve throughput. Maybe worth a shot?

(They also recommended using "Hardware Acceleration" and pointed out that enabling Q.O.S. lowers the maximum throughput by 20%)

• wdesousa
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
11 Mar 2019 16:56 #3 by wdesousa
Replied by wdesousa on topic Re: 2860n+ killing speed
Just enabled Hardware acceleration.
damn just re-tested - and we're up to 260 down which is a v big improvement. wow!
QOS was already disabled.

Interesting - will look into the vector firmware. Thanks for the tips Hornbyp....

:D

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
11 Mar 2019 21:52 #4 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: 2860n+ killing speed
Interestingly, I just tried turning mine OFF ... and it made not a jot of difference :roll: