Vigor 2830

• trevorpace
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
13 Mar 2019 17:23 #1 by trevorpace
Vigor 2830 was created by trevorpace
How do I allow a local IP address through the router. I have a server addressable on https://192.168.1.59:8125 and when accessed it locally I get the un-secure warning in chrome. Im ok accessing it and logging on remotely with the dns url

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
13 Mar 2019 17:33 #2 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Vigor 2830
Does the "Subject Alternative Name" field of the Webserver Certificate include "IP Address=192.168.1.59" :?:

• trevorpace
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
15 Mar 2019 09:01 #3 by trevorpace
Replied by trevorpace on topic Re: Vigor 2830
Will take a look, I have got over the problem by using the domain name locally instead of the IP address, I was just curious as to way the IP address was considered insecure.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
15 Mar 2019 17:47 #4 by hornbyp

trevorpace wrote: Will take a look, I have got over the problem by using the domain name locally instead of the IP address, I was just curious as to way the IP address was considered insecure.

I think Chrome expects the certificate to contain a matching entry for whatever method it used to access the webserver that sent it...

More
28 May 2019 20:44 #5 by rolleroo2
Replied by rolleroo2 on topic Re: Vigor 2830
Chrome will be checking with a certificate authority to ensure you have a valid certificate for that IP. Given it is a LAN IP there won't be one which may be why Chrome flags it as insecure. You won't be able to obtain a cert for a LAN address.

I have seen similar issues with my NAS login.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
29 May 2019 11:23 #6 by hornbyp

Rolleroo2 wrote: Chrome will be checking with a certificate authority to ensure you have a valid certificate for that IP. Given it is a LAN IP there won't be one which may be why Chrome flags it as insecure. You won't be able to obtain a cert for a LAN address.

Depending on the Certificate Authority, it may not be straightforward - but it is certainly possible.

I use a certificate from my local, tame, Windows Certification Authority for use with my Vigors. Of course the rest of world doesn't automatically trust these certificates (which is fine, because I don't want the rest of the world managing my Vigors :wink: ).