DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2862n - new user config question

More
17 Mar 2019 08:39 #1 by rgn01
2862n - new user config question was created by rgn01
Having recently purchased my 2862n, this is my first time here and I would really appreciate some help please. I've looked through the guides and online help and can't decide how best to do this so am looking for advice please.

Current situation:
On my home network I have

• a vDSL link which is connected to the DSL port

• a LAN (192.168.1.0) connected to P1 (this has a number of other Ethernet switches on it and about 30 wired devices

• a WiFi network (WiFi_Net) with a few access points plugged into the LAN. It uses the same address range as the LAN

• a Pi-Hole as the DHCP and DNS server (192.168.1.240). Main devices (CCTV cameras, servers etc.) have fixed DHCP reservations and use DHCP

• the 2862n is on 192.168.1.254

• NordVPN is working

This is all working well except that I must start NordVPN each time and some of the entertainment services won't work with it on.

What I now want to do is:

• move the TV and other entertainment devices into their own network (subnet / VLAN?) and allow them access to the Internet but not the primary LAN. I guess the 2862n will be the DNS and DHCP server for this?

• create a new network (subnet / VLAN?) for the CCTV cameras. This to have no Internet access. I guess the 2862n will be the DNS and DHCP server for this?

• the main network (subnet / VLAN) to have internet access and access to both the other two networks - ideally still using the Pi-hole as the DNS and SHCP server

• use QOS on the TV network to help ensure it provides good viewing of streamed media

• use NordVPN on the main network but not on the TV one

I'm not sure how best to do this so any help much appreciated.

Thanks.

Richard

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Mar 2019 06:06 #2 by rgn01
Replied by rgn01 on topic Re: 2862n - new user config question
I've made some progress - the bunch of cameras are in a continuous IP range and I've set the firewall to drop any traffic from them to the internet. I may move them to their own VLAN at some point but there is no hurry for that.

I'm now working on setting up the VLAN for the TV and entertainment devices.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.