Port 445 Open

• fishenchips
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
25 Mar 2019 08:39 #1 by fishenchips
Port 445 Open was created by fishenchips
Ran a GRC Shields Up test against my 2926 after making some changes and noticed that port 445 (MS Windows-related) was open. I haven't explicitly opened it and didn't notice it before. However, a quick search showed this up as being a bug from a few years back that had now been patched: https://www.baigents.net/draytek-2925-routers-leave-port-445-open-to-the-web/
I've applied the fix stated in the article and it seems to have resolved the issue, but has anyone else found this recently ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• macavity
  • User
  • User
More
25 Mar 2019 12:12 #2 by macavity
Replied by macavity on topic Re: Port 445 Open
Check to see if you've got SMB sharing enabled for access mode LAN & WAN in your config.

It's under USB Application >> USB General Settings

• fishenchips
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
26 Mar 2019 15:56 #3 by fishenchips
Replied by fishenchips on topic Re: Port 445 Open
Just checked that and no, SMB File Sharing Services (Network Neighborhood) is disabled! (Thanks for the suggestion though).

• fishenchips
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
26 Mar 2019 16:06 #4 by fishenchips
Just to add to that, I also tried disabling the printer server option (which was enabled) in case that was causing the problem. When I tried to commit that change, it kicked back that the host name coudln't have any of the usual verboten characters, which is interesting as it is blank. Something's def a bit flaky here.

• macavity
  • User
  • User
More
26 Mar 2019 17:03 #5 by macavity
Replied by macavity on topic Re: Port 445 Open
I wonder if it is the printer service. Try enabling SMB so that the workgroup name and hostname become editable. Then put in the defaults (WORKGROUP / VIGOR) and disable again, then I think you'll be able to save it.

• fishenchips
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
04 Apr 2019 15:50 #6 by fishenchips
Yep, that worked, thanks v. much. Interestingly, GRC SU then showed some NetBIOS related ports as 'closed' as opposed to 'stealth\not responding', but those have since disappeared since making other unrelated changes. :shock: