Chromecast in separate VLAN - mDNS not working

• d1m3b4g2
  • Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
07 Apr 2019 20:57 #1 by d1m3b4g2
Hi

I used to run a Ubiquiti setup and moved from the USG to the Vigor2952 router.
Everything works fine apart from putting the Chromecast devices onto an IoT network with a VLAN tag.

My setup -

192.168.1.1 / 24 untagged for normal devices
192.168.55.1 / 24 for tagged (55) devices in a VLAN
I have enabled this 55 VLAN on LAN2 bound to port 1 and enabled routing between the LAN1 / LAN2 networks.

When I connect my Chromecast to VLAN 55 on the IoT network, I can see it hit the router, get an IP address and it is pingable from a host on the untagged network.
The issue is, it never shows up in any app on my phone / computer when I go to use it.

I thought I needed mDNS to make the announcement between VLANs and I enabled the "Bonjour" service on the Draytek, but can't find anything specifically that says mDNS.
Is this not supported?

Has anyone else implemented the above and got it working?
I used to have this working perfectly on the Ubiquiti kit, but so far even with full routable access I can not get the CC to work cross VLAN with Draytek.

Any ideas and suggestions would be great, thanks.
Paul

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• d1m3b4g2
  • Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
24 Apr 2019 13:53 #2 by d1m3b4g2
I'll take the silence as "no one knows" :-)
If anyone from Draytek can comment on mDNS and cross VLAN resolution I'd really appreciate it.
This is something other brands seem to be able to do effortlessly (even Ubiquiti... and that's saying something) so it'd be great to get some insight.

Thanks
Paul

More
25 Apr 2019 09:26 #3 by admin3
The purpose of a VLAN is amongh other things, to limit the broadcast / multicast scope of that subnet. The DrayOS routers don't have a function for broadcast/multicast relay between VLANs. To get the Chromecast talking to the main network - specifically a multicast / mDNS relay function would be required. The 'Bonjour' menu function on the router is only for the router to advertise its own services via mDNS, not a relay facility (in its present state).

Taking a quick look at how it's done on Unifi , shows there's already a specific mdns-reflector / repeater function (which pushes mdns packets out to the WAN??). Something similar would need to be implemented on DrayOS for your scenario to work. I recommend asking the support team to see if such a thing would be possible.

Forum Administrator

• d1m3b4g2
  • Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
06 May 2019 00:27 #4 by d1m3b4g2
That's an awesome answer thank you :-)
I'll go away and work out how to send a product feature request through.