Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Config Files - exporting / importing upgrades

• akwe-xavante
  • Topic Author
More
26 Apr 2019 12:41 #1 by akwe-xavante
Config Files - exporting / importing upgrades was created by akwe-xavante
Hoping someone can offer help.

I currently have two draytek routers, a 2860n firmware ver: 3.8.9.4_BT and a 2820n firmware ver: 3.7.3. These are connected together via a VPN tunnel.

The 2820n is ADSL2+ only and needs changing to a VDSL router.

The 2820n will shortly become obsolete because my ISP is basically forcing VDSL on me. Well ADSL2+ will become more expensive than VDSL by a fair margin. (my ADSL2+ contract ends late may).

So i'm seriously thinking of buying a 2862ac to replace my 2860n at home in the office and move my 2860n to my holiday rental replacing the 2820n.

Can i export my config file from the 2860n to my new 2862ac and export my config file from the 2820n to my 2860n?

Just what is in the exported config files and will my VPN be maintained in the process?

Does the exported config file also have the service UserName & PassWord contained within it?

Trying to establish just to how much work the upgrade / sideways move will involve. Trying to work out just how much of this i can do at home in the office before i take the 2860n to my holiday cottage.

Hoping to minimise disruption to guests at the cottage on upgrade day.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Apr 2019 10:29 #2 by admin3

akwe-xavante wrote:
Can i export my config file from the 2860n to my new 2862ac and export my config file from the 2820n to my 2860n?

Take a look here , essentially yes, both models support importing configuration from older models.
Vigor 2820 > 2860
Vigor 2860 > 2862

akwe-xavante wrote:
Just what is in the exported config files and will my VPN be maintained in the process?
Does the exported config file also have the service UserName & PassWord contained within it?

VPN and firewall config, account usernames and passwords are all moved across. The only thing that isn't moved across is the LAN > VLAN configuration, because of the different ports between models.
Any menus on the newer router with features that the old didn't have i.e. 5GHz wireless, the imported config will use the default settings for those new menus.

Forum Administrator

• akwe-xavante
  • Topic Author
More
29 Apr 2019 13:24 #3 by akwe-xavante
Replied by akwe-xavante on topic Re: Config Files - exporting / importing upgrades
Thank you so much.
So it looks as though i can do all that i need to do at home in the office, prep the 2860 before i travel to the holiday rental, plug it in and away they go with minimal disruption.

Thank you