DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Use DHCP Option 43 with 2960

• ateece
  • Topic Author
More
30 Apr 2019 16:50 #1 by ateece
Use DHCP Option 43 with 2960 was created by ateece
Does anyone know how to use DHCP Option 43 with the 2960 and 3900 Routers?

I'm trying to setup autoconfiguration of Ubiquiti access points using Option 43 to send the controller IP address. This requires Option 43 to be set and for it to send the controller IP. The same behaviour can be done with Cisco access points.

I need to sent type 01 with an IP address

In raw hex this will be:
0104AABBCCDD where 01 is the type, 04 is the length and aa/bb/cc/dd is my controller IP address converted to hex

The Draytek help page at https://www.draytek.com/support/knowledge-base/5314 only covers the older routers which presents a GUI that makes it clear if you should enter hex, and ip, ascii text, etc and I assume if you selected IP address it did the IP-to-hex conversion and set the data length automatically.

Suffice to say all attempts such as:
0104AABBCCDD
0x0104AABBCCDD
01:04:AA:BB:CC:DD
01.04.AA.BB.CC.DD
have failed

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 May 2019 21:07 #2 by the pit
Replied by the pit on topic Re: Use DHCP Option 43 with 2960
It's under lan general setup and when editing that you'll see dhcp options box. Click that and I can option 43 listed.

• ateece
  • Topic Author
More
14 May 2019 16:11 #3 by ateece
Replied by ateece on topic Re: Use DHCP Option 43 with 2960
Thanks Pit, I have found the setting but I'm not sure on the format.

For instance on other DHCP servers i've used (Windows, pfSense, older Draytek models) you can enter ASCII data, Hex data, IP addresses, IP address lists, etc (see the Draytek help page i posted).

But on the 2960 (and other models based on this OS) it's just a text box. So in what format do I enter the data? How can I supply hex data, does it automatically calculate the data length for the second byte, etc.

DHCP options are not just text; Draytek seem to have implemented it fully/properly on older models but gone backwards with the newer ones :(