Advice kindly requested - 2862ac and 2 x APs

• dolphsps
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
10 May 2019 10:46 #1 by dolphsps
Hi All,

I have a 2862ac with two access points - 1 x 902 and 1 x 810 in the garage for my workshop. Both APs are connected to the 2862 via ethernet cables that the previous owner had put in place (50m Cat 6 cables).

I use both 2.4 and 5ghz on the 2862 and the 902 and 2.4 only on the 810. I have one SSID for each frequency and an additional 2.4 SSID for guests. The SSIDs are configured the same across the devices with the exception on running on separate channels (from a post I saw a while back).

I have a single VLAN for everything although thinking about having separate VLANs for homeautomation sensors at some point.

It nearly works well but I have a couple of niggling issues I would appreciate some advice on.

Couple of issues that are annoying rather than terminal:
* What is the correct / ideal bridging mode for the APs given they are connected via Ethernet? I am currently using AP-Bridge WDS but to be honest, I am just not clear on what would be best.
* My main issue though is that I am unable to ping / connect to devices that are connected via the 'other' AP. Ie if my laptop is connected to the 2862, I cannot connect to my Raspberry PIs connected to the AP and visa versa. I am doing quite a bit of homeautomation stuff and it is just a pain. From the ping diagnostics utility on the 2862, I can ping everything ok.

Appreciate any thoughts you guys may have.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mbames
  • User
  • User
More
20 May 2019 19:18 #2 by mbames
Pinging/connectivity between wifi devices, most likely you have wifi isolation enabled.

As you have a 2862, you can use the AP management tool to create a single wifi profile and push that out to both of the APs.

Both APs should be running in AP mode.

More
21 May 2019 20:40 #3 by admin
If they're connected by Ethernet, you don't want WDS/bridging at all - that's for wireless extending.

Forum Administrator