Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

VLAN Tag Issues

• rolleroo2
  • Topic Author
More
17 May 2019 13:45 #1 by rolleroo2
VLAN Tag Issues was created by rolleroo2
Hi There,

I am trying to set up my Vigor 2830n router to accept VLAN tags from a Netgear GS305E managed switch.

I want to set up a NAS on the switch which is isolated from anything else plugged in to it.

As soon as I turn on the VLAN tagging option on the switch, the router loses sight of the connected NAS.

The port the switch is plugged into has access to 2 LANs. One is assigned to VID 3 which mirrors the port setup on the switch. The other LAN is not assigned to a VID, assuming all non-tagged traffic drops into this LAN. The switch is set up to tag only the port the NAS is plugged into.

Any help or suggestions appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 May 2019 11:38 #2 by clivers
Replied by clivers on topic Re: VLAN Tag Issues
I assume you have given the switch port that the NAS in connected to a U on the Vlan section and assigned the Vlan id in the port pvid section? and tagged the trunk port - the port that connected to the router with a T for that vlan?
This might help
https://kb.netgear.com/30918/How-to-configure-an-802-1Q-VLAN-on-a-ProSAFE-Web-Managed-Plus-Switch-using-the-web-interface

• rolleroo2
  • Topic Author
More
19 May 2019 19:48 #3 by rolleroo2
Replied by rolleroo2 on topic Re: VLAN Tag Issues
Clivers, Thanks for taking pity on a complete networking noob. Yup I can see the logic to that.

However when I go to the advanced tab in my switch management software I only get the option of VID of 1-5. No trunking or untagged option.

Sounds like a job for Netgear tech support. I'll make my enquiries there.

Thanks again, I may well be back!

Roller

UPDATE

Looks a lot like a layer 8 error. Thanks for the pointers, kudos Clivers.