• it344x
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
09 Jun 2019 12:16 #1 by it344x
can I control linkspeed from my 2860 was created by it344x
Hi everyone,
bit of a daft question, but I would like to *reduce* the linkspeed that BT negotiates with my 2860Vn+ - it keeps re-training the line to such a high d/load that it keeps dropping, and I need reliability over maximum possible bandwidth, in this instance 73Kbps is just unstable, but I know that 65Kbps is rock steady.
Is there a way to limit/configure this from my end?

many thanks
Martin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• it344x
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
09 Jun 2019 17:48 #2 by it344x
Replied by it344x on topic Re: can I control linkspeed from my 2860
To put a bit of meat to this, there are many, many forum threads on 2860Vn+ consistently and randomly dropping connections. I have just had my provider, Plusnet, call Openreach out, and the most diligent engineer came out and physically replaced the entire cable from the microfilter in the house all the way to the exchange, as the line was recording near and ( mostly) far CRC errors. Then, the line was rock stable at 68Kbps until the exchange end started re-training to a higher d/l value at 4 in the morning.
I then started getting ridiculous number of dropouts, SNR values of -6 ( minus six), and the line just would not stay up. I updated firmware, regressed firmware, changed vector versions but all to no avail.

The line was then dropped overnight last night to 65Kbps, and it is rock steady again. I interrogate my 2860 with scripts from a raspberry pi, & produce rrd tables of output, and you can clearly see the correlation with reduced d/load, SNR and increased reliability, so an ability to influence this at my end would be great.

Simple internet searching shows that this is a common problem with many other people with 2860, which I wish was not the case, because as a network/unix techy I really like my 2860, however I absolutely must have reliability as I run webex/voip conf calls etcetc from home.

If there was a way in the negotiation to control the max bandwidth I am absolutely convinced it would resolve this issue, as I need reliability over max throughput.

Any advice/pointers would be much appreciated.

Martin

• adrianh54
  • User
  • User
More
09 Jun 2019 18:07 #3 by adrianh54
Replied by adrianh54 on topic Re: can I control linkspeed from my 2860
I assume your speeds should be stated as 73Mbps not kbps as that is dial up speed.

You can reduce throughput by increasing the SNR value as per this link :

https://www.draytek.com/support/knowledge-base/4800

A plus value will be required.

• it344x
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
09 Jun 2019 20:59 #4 by it344x
Replied by it344x on topic Re: can I control linkspeed from my 2860
many thanks AdrianH, that is almost exactly the information I needed. I am playing with this now.

Mbps of course, doh - what's a factor of a thousand here or there...

thanks again
Martin