Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

New member - thought I would introduce myself and setup

• timlinc
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
10 Jun 2019 11:14 #1 by timlinc
I thought I would make my first post to the Forum by saying hello to all members and let you all know my home network setup both what I had and what I have now.

I previously had a DrayTek Vigor 2862n connected to a single Windows 7 PC with a small number of devices (smart phone etc.) using its WiFi option.

I then upgraded to a home network with a Ubiquiti USG 4 Pro, Ubiquiti Switch 16-150W, Synology NAS 218, Ubiquiti UniFi UAP AC Pro, Windows Server 2016 (used as a day to day PC for home and work), HP Laserjet Pro MFP M280nw colour laserjet printer, 2 x Snom VOIP D765 VOIP phones, Virgin Media Fibre 386Mbit download/36Mbit upload.

I was happy with most of this setup however I wasn't quite content with the Ubiquiti equipment as it was all running very hot even when the Switch and Router were not maxed out load wise so I decided to look in to changing a few pieces of kit which were quieter and generated less heat so I remembered my DrayTek Router of days gone by so I decided to replace some pieces of Ubiquiti kit with the following which is my current setup:

DrayTek Vigor 2952 Router
Netgear GS724TPv2 PoE+ Switch
Synology RS819 Rackstation NAS with 2 x 1TB RAID1 Seagate IronWolf drives
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP AC Pro WiFi Access Point
Windows Server 2016 PC (used for home and work) Core i& Processor, 32GB RAM, 450GB SSD Drive, 1TB Drive (for backups)
Second hand Dell PowerEdge R210 II Xeon Server with 32GB RAM, 2 x 600GB SAS RAID1 drives
HP LaserJet Pro MFP M280nw Colour Laserjet Printer
2 x Snom D765 VOIP phones
Virgin Media Fibre 386Mbit download/36Mbit upload Fibre broadband

I have to say the DrayTek Vigor runs silently, generating so much less heat than the Ubiquiti USG Pro 4 and also my Netgear GS724TPv2 Switch runs quieter with the fans running 24x7 and generates so much les heat than the Ubiquti Switch 16-150W. Web management portals for both of these units are much smoother, load quicker, respond quicker unlike the UniFi controller web portal which when changes are made having to wait ages for the changes to be provisioned.

I might even look in to getting a DrayTek switch instead of the Netgear one in the future.

Also I forgot to mention that I am going to be replacing the UniFi AP AC Pro with a Draytek 910C Wireless Access Point.

Although I like the quality of the Ubiquiti gear, I now feel there are other better alternatives on the market and also better priced.

Any of you guys feel like posting your setup and thoughts welcome.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jun 2019 22:29 #2 by admin
Welcome and glad it's all going well :-) Most people only come here when they have queries or issues :-)

Forum Administrator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.