DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

XP VM firewall settings to block internet only

• munchin
  • Topic Author
More
27 Jul 2019 21:21 #1 by munchin
Hi - I have a 2862ac and am running XP on VMWare as a VM on a window 7 host pc.

On my laptop the XP VM is set as bridged and it has a unique MAC address.
On the 2862 the mac address of the XP VM is bound to address 192.168.1.99
In the firewall settings I have set a rule LAN/DMZ/RT/VPN -> WAN where the IP 192.168.1.99 any destination or any service is Block immediately.

So the idea is I can access my LAN using XP VM but never the internet.

Now this works fine if I use wireless. But if I plug my laptop into the LAN using cat5 it does not block the internet?

I can see the XP VM is assigned the IP 192.168.1.99 by the 2862ac and that the rule exists but for some reason the wired pc allows the XP VM to access the internet?

Any clues?

One thing just left to check though I think it makes no difference. I use another router on the LAN as an access point only, it is not a DHCP server, just a wireless booster (different SSID) but also used as a dumb hub to extend the cat 5 network. So at the moment physically I am plugged into the second dumb hub and the 2862ac is the DHCP server and connected to the WAN.

I'm no router expert so looking for advice.

Thanks

Reason I'm running XP is for old legacy software.

Just realized that I use access control for the MAC address of the wifi card in my laptop but I have not added the mac address of the XP VM which is running on wifi....not that it explains the problem with cat 5 cable connection.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• munchin
  • Topic Author
More
05 Aug 2019 17:18 #2 by munchin
Fixed and I will explain why in case it helps someone.

Now as I said I'm no router expert so be kind!

I added the rule to block the XP VM in Filter Set 3 as Rule 1.

Now I cannot explain why this seemed to work if my laptop is on wifi but did not work when connected by cat 5....but....In Filter Set 2 at the bottom of the page you need to set Next Filter Set to Set#3 else it will not apply Filter Set 3 rules.....makes sense now I know.

But I had looked at Filter Set 1 before I decided to add my rule to filter set 3 (thinking I'd have my own filter set and leave the defaults 1 & 2 alone) and saw it said in the Next Filter Set drop down box None. So I just left Filter Set 2 as None (as it showed) and thought filter Set 3 would work. Well I'm told it will not, but still no explanation yet as how on wifi it seems to work.

But I have not tried the fix to activate filter set 3. I deleted my filter rule in filter set 3 but added it to Filter Set 2 as rule 2 and it works!

Still learning.......

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.