DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Configure a Vigor 2860 as a wired access point

• bigshorty
  • Topic Author
More
03 Aug 2019 20:10 #1 by bigshorty
Hi All
I'm in the process of hardwiring an ethernet cable from my Asus RT-AC86U router to my study (more like a man cave really) so that I can have wired internet connection for all of the devices I use, wireless connection in there can be a bit unstable. I know it would be easier to buy an ethernet switch and use that to wire connect my devices to the internet, but I have a Draytek Vigor 2860 doing nothing, and was wondering if it is possible to configure this to act as a wired ethernet switch / access point. The reason it would be useful is that it has 6 LAN ports which would be ideal for the intended use.
Is it possible to configure the Vigor 2860 as an ethernet switch / wired access point, and if so, could someone tell me how to do it please?
I'd be very grateful for any comments and advice on this.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Aug 2019 09:42 #2 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Configure a Vigor 2860 as a wired access point
I use a 2925ac for that very purpose, mainly because I finally gave up trying to get an AP902 5GHz wifi to work in any reliable or sensible fashion. I just plug the LAN lead into one of the switch ports, I give mine a fixed IP using IP bind on the main router, and disable DHCP on the "slave" router. I have VLANs and SSIDs working fine on both 2.4 and 5GHz (unlike some on here I've never had a problem with 5 GHz wifi from my routers, only from AP902s).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.