DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Firewall blocking

More
28 Nov 2019 17:10 #1 by haywardi
Firewall blocking was created by haywardi
Over the last few months, I have increased the tightness of my firewall rules so any inbound traffic (unsolicited) is blocked.

I have been surpirsed by the amount of traffic trying to access my internal systems. From my analysis so far four companies appear responsible, there are:

- Google
- Amazon
- FACEBOOK
- Akamai Technologies.

Has anyone else noticed this behaviour? (No it has nothing to do with any smart devices like Echo/Alexa or Chromecast as I have them on a seperate VLAN and I am allowing this traffic, these messages are directly to Windows PC's) And who is Akamai Technologies?

Any insight appreciated.
Iain

Iain

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• adrianh54
  • User
  • User
More
29 Nov 2019 08:45 #2 by adrianh54
Replied by adrianh54 on topic Re: Firewall blocking
I ignore all of that stuff it is just dross bouncing around the net, in fact on my router I now don't even bother with logging dropped /accepted packets, the log gets to be unreadable. I prefer to have the important system errors and events easily visible in the log.

You will see everything on your list because you use a browser and visit web pages. Websites use Google for adverts, SEO, and analytics etc. Amazon AWS are servers used by sites, Facebook because sites have "Like" and "Follow us on Facebook" buttons.

Akamai are probably the worlds biggest server system, cloud services, CDN , media and software delivery and used by gazillions of sites/services.
Use games, videos, music, download updates? Akamai is often the server delivering content to you. Look up Akamai.com.

More
29 Nov 2019 09:32 #3 by haywardi
Replied by haywardi on topic Re: Firewall blocking
Adrian,

Yes I have reached the same conclusion.

It does however beg the question that in these days of cyber security that noone is looking at what these people are actually doing.

Iain

• richard1234
  • User
  • User
More
30 Nov 2019 11:28 #4 by richard1234
Replied by richard1234 on topic Re: Firewall blocking
I think that if you have a web page open to say Google and you close that window a TCP session gets shut down, but there might be packets already on their way to you. When you receive these packets the firewall no longer recognises it as an established connection and, because they look like a new connection, rejects them.