• mwrmwr2
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
15 Dec 2019 19:18 #1 by mwrmwr2
2862lac LTE issues was created by mwrmwr2
background
I only have intermittent on-premise access to my router which I bought because of appalling ADSL speeds.
I bought an unlimited SIM after determining very good data speeds via my mobile phone.
Due to very short visit time, I jumped in at the deep end and set up load balancing with the SIM embedded and ADSL; this gave very poor performance so I rolled things back to ADSL with remote management prior to installing LTE one step at a time. I had wireless-only MiFi but had to buy another device to bridge this into a Wan port on my next attempt.
The performance using MiFi and this SIM to the wireless to LAN bridge into the router as a WAN was great and after dropping down to having that SIM embedded in the 2862lac with LTE only was still pretty good (95% of MiFi) so I closed the support call and I left it just on LTE.
However, the LTE-only setup did not support remote management - I suspect the 4G provider rather than my router but I haven't any definitive provider statement on that.
Both the ADSL and LTE routes are random in allocating network ip addresses and I've not yet managed to get my DDNS provider script to work on the router (hell, how does that even know what to do when I have load balancing on 2 or 3 Wan connections?).
I've had to set up TeamViewer on an old mini laptop(XP) so that I can manage the router from "inside" and have the system in a very basic load-balanced ADSL+LTE configuration. It is remote manageable by the ADSL-ip but no response on the LTE-ip. Again now when "balanced", the LTE performance looks low but I have to be a little cautious there as the broadband speed on LTE seems to fluctuate.
{The firmware is the October 2019 updated BT version}
Next chance I get, I'm going to retry the Mifi-Wan configuration to check speeds and load balancing. [Can't see that there's any way to remote manage on that interface as the in-house DHCP address is allocated by the MiFi and maybe something similar is happening in the LTE setup ...?]

Questions for 2862lac LTE users
1. Do you manage to get good data rates across LTE and if so, with which provider ?
2. is the device remotely manageable across the LTE interface?
3. Are the answers to 1. and 2. the same if load balancing with broadband ISP (ADSL or other WAN) ?

Feedback of any experience with LTE on 2862lac would be much appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 丨>®@yt3丨<
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
More
17 Dec 2019 15:39 #2 by 丨>®@yt3丨<
Replied by 丨>®@yt3丨< on topic Re: 2862lac LTE issues
Hi MWRMWR2,

I can answer q2: Check the WAN3 / LTE IP address of your router. If it is public, it is likely that remote management and other features will work fine.
If not sure which IP is private (special use) or public (all non-special) - check here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv4#Special-use_addresses
For example, if your LTE provider issues 10.11.12.13 IP to your router - remote mngt won't work.

Now, if your LTE provider issues a public IP - this should allow you to manage the router, run VPNs etc.

Hope that helps.

P.S. If load balancing is enabled, it should not impact your remote management options. Because a public IP is used to access the router, use either WAN1(ADSL) or WAN3(LTE) IP address.

• mwrmwr2
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
17 Dec 2019 17:31 #3 by mwrmwr2
Replied by mwrmwr2 on topic Re: 2862lac LTE issues
Oops. I understand wrt 10.x.y.z makes the difference so many thanks for that.
Embarrassingly, I did my CCNA so long ago and retired into a Virgin/BT world where even when dynamic the addresses were not Private.

After a short sleep following a day's travelling I'll be back with the router. Will see how far I get with requesting a public IP from 4G provider - I expect the price- based decisions will get a shakeup when they say no.
They did insist they didn't block any ports or protocols but I didn't ask the right question!
Cheers, Mark