Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Only popular websites accessible after HomeHub > Vigor 2860

• awrl100
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
28 Dec 2019 15:44 #1 by awrl100
Is the following some recognised problem with a known solution?

I used to use my Vigor 2860 when I was at another home. After I moved I had some problems with speed and used the supplied BT Home Hub while I was resolving them with BT support. However, I have just tried to replace the BT Homehub with the Vigor 2860. I updated firmware to latest 3.8.9.6_BT (with factory reset) and went through the guide pdf for setup of BT. The provision is BT Domestic.

However, after doing so I find that only popular websites are accessible (e.g. gmail, google, bbc.co.uk). The vast majority of websites which are more obscure (including the draytek.co.uk) cannot be connected to. I am able to resolve their name to an ip address, I can get a reply to a ping of the address, I believe I can even open a connection such as via telnet client to port 80 when using one of these addresses (although this is a test I did not repeat, and I have not tried submitting any data). However my browser (chrome) is unable to connect and get a webpage to any but the most commonly used websites. I tried on another workstation laptop, with the same results.
- I have not yet tried other browsers, or platforms other than Windows.
- I do not have any workstation proxy settings apparently configured that would affect my browser.
- the Vigor's routing policy diagnostics return the same results for both the working and problematic website IPs.
- I can discern no pattern, in so far as https 443 is common to both the working and non working sites.
- I have tried disabling router firewall settings and options. I have tried with firewall enabled and explicit allow rules (although this test may have been incorrectly configured). No DoS settings are enabled.

When I replace the Vigor with the BT Homehub once again > all websites are available once again.

It is possible there is a problem is with my workstation (such as malware), however I would have to have the same problem on more than one machine. Again possible but now less likely.

There are more tests I can be doing such as hooking up wi-fi so I can try platforms such as android which are highly unlikely to be compromised in the same way as my PC's arguably could be. I can have a look to see if I can even provoke via telnet client at least an error 400 response from these problem servers.

However, I'm not coming up with many theories at present apart from either some some nefarious caching/optimising behaviour on the part of BT which only their lacklustre Homehub can negotiate, or some setting or quality of the traffic with Vigor which is too challenging for all but the most abnormally accommodating websites. In either case I have no further clue as yet.

As I say I am hoping that this set of symptoms is familiar to someone? Many thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
28 Dec 2019 17:34 #2 by hornbyp
This could well be another "MTU" related fault...

Try lowering it, either manually, or using the 'auto-detect' (Path MTU Discovery) function @ "WAN >> Internet Access"

• awrl100
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
29 Dec 2019 12:17 #3 by awrl100

hornbyp wrote:
This could well be another "MTU" related fault..."

Hi hornbyp. Yup, that was it. Many thanks!
MTU = "1492" immediately (after restart) fixed all website connectivity problems.

MTU was set to 1520 (factory reset value with the _BT firmware and also as per the Draytek help documentation, although the document does not especially note its screen shoted value of 1520)
I also tried 1500 as this was referenced for BT in some places but this did not appear to be compatible either.

Many thanks hornbyp!