Vigor 130 and XR500 issues

• abebrizell
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
15 Jan 2020 21:11 #1 by abebrizell
Vigor 130 and XR500 issues was created by abebrizell
I have been having trouble getting my setup to connect to the internet.
I have: plusnet FTTC connected by ADSL, Vigor 130 modem, Netgear XR 500 router.

I can connect to the internet using the plusnet modem and the XR500 in AP mode but can't use it in router mode (which is why you buy it!). To get round this I tried changing the modem to the Vigor 130 but now cannot connect to the internet at all.
I set the modem up 'out of the box' as advised by Draytek as they stated I didn't need to change any parameters. - connecting my laptop to the modem I can access the internet by setting up a PPPOE in windows.

Unfortunately as soon as I try to introduce the XR500 it won't connect to the internet. I've spoken to Netgear who stated it should connect without PPPOE but we had no joy, we then tried PPPOE and setting up the VLAN group but again no connection to the internet.

I know others have used this set up (it's why I got the VIgor) so wondering if anyone else has any suggestions as I'm a bit stumped.

thanks for any help

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jan 2020 09:32 #2 by admin3
Replied by admin3 on topic Re: Vigor 130 and XR500 issues
Make sure that you're not setting the VLAN on the Netgear XR500 router, the Vigor 130 adds in the VLAN tag 101 automatically. It will need to use PPPoE to connect as the Vigor 130 only passes through the PPP connection, the Vigor 130 is not a router on its own.

You should be able to use PPPoE credentials with no VLAN tag on the router, in the same way it worked on your Windows PC.

Forum Administrator

• abebrizell
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
18 Jan 2020 09:13 #3 by abebrizell
Replied by abebrizell on topic Re: Vigor 130 and XR500 issues
Thanks for the reply.

I tried connecting without VLAN but still wouldn't work.

Tried it without PPPOE, with PPPOE and no VLAN, and with both but none will connect.