Vigor 2860 and NTP

• bluefin2105
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
15 Jan 2020 23:57 #1 by bluefin2105
Vigor 2860 and NTP was created by bluefin2105
The time sync on my Vigor 2860 appears not to be working. In the "Time and Date" setting for 'System Maintenance' I have:
Use Internet Time:
- Time Server: uk.pool/ntp/org
- Priority: Auto
- Time Zone: (GMT) Edinburgh, Lisbon, London
- Enable Daylight Saving: (tick)
Automatically Update Interval: 5 hours
Send NTP Request Through: Auto

The clock slips constantly. If I "Use Browser Time" and "Inquire Time" then "Current System Time" is set correctly. If I use the settings above, with "Use Internet Time" and "OK" then 'current system time is set to "2019 Dec 1 Sun 16 : 59 : 32" (local time is "2020 Jan 15 Tue 23 :54 : 10").
Clicking "inquire Time" with all the above settings seems to give the correct result, but OK has the effect described.

Any ideas what's going on or how to diagnose?

Thanks,

Pete C.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 36bits
  • User
  • User
More
16 Jan 2020 14:03 #2 by 36bits
Replied by 36bits on topic Re: Vigor 2860 and NTP
Server should be 'uk.pool.ntp.org'.

• bluefin2105
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
17 Jan 2020 07:40 #3 by bluefin2105
Replied by bluefin2105 on topic Re: Vigor 2860 and NTP
Ooops. Typo in my posting, but yes on the router it is indeed uk.pool.ntp.org.

• bluefin2105
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
17 Jan 2020 12:38 #4 by bluefin2105
Further to this, I have double-checked the NTP sever setting on the router and it is correct. I have also noticed that despite being a couple of days after the last time I tried, the time value that gets incorrectly set is still “2019 Dec 1 Sun 16 : 59 : 32” (to within a minute or so, which might be down to observer error!). So it appears it might be getting an absolute value rather than some offset. Unfortunately that doesn’t bring me any closer to a diagnosis :-(

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
17 Jan 2020 13:33 #5 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Vigor 2860 and NTP
What do you get, if you query it from the command line, with the Windows W32tm tool?

Code:
w32tm /monitor /computers:uk.pool.ntp.org.

I normally get a reasonable looking answer ...
Code:
C:\WINDOWS\system32>w32tm /monitor /computers:uk.pool.ntp.org. uk.pool.ntp.org.[213.251.52.107:123]: ICMP: 12ms delay NTP: +0.2414414s offset from local clock RefID: ntp0.linx.net [195.66.241.2] Stratum: 2

Actually, I've just realised that it's a different NTP server that is selected each time - so there's presumably just one that has gone rogue!

You could always use your ISP's NTP server. For example, Zen Internet's is 'ntp0.zen.co.uk'

Or maybe pick one from this list: https://timetoolsltd.com/information/public-ntp-server/uk/

• bluefin2105
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
18 Jan 2020 00:01 #6 by bluefin2105
My Windows PCs use the default time.windows.com as their time server. They work fine. I tried the w32tm command as you suggested, and that worked fine too (both with server time.windows.com and server uk.pool.ntp.org. Thanks for that by the way - I hadn't come across w32tm before). I tried setting the time server in the 2860 to time.windows.com, since it obviously worked for the Windows machines - same result as before, "2019 Dec 1 Sun ....". I also tried changing the "send NTP request through" to WAN1 explicitly, rather than Auto - no difference.

So it appears to be a problem *only* with the 2860 and there's no 'generic' issue with NTP calls out to the internet (they're not blocked by the ISP etc.). There seems to be no way to turn on logging of NTP calls and responses? Not even sure how I could use Wireshark to monitor the WAN interface?

Bit stumped now, frankly!

Thanks,

Pete C.