Smart VPN and RDP

• jnewman93
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
16 Jan 2020 10:02 #1 by jnewman93
Smart VPN and RDP was created by jnewman93
Hi there I am hoping to achieve the following although my experience is not great.
1, Close all ports and IPs in the Firewall
2, Maintain a Client to Server LAN connection
3, Maintain a Remote Client to Server WAN connection via RDP

We had a ransomware attack and I want to close all ports in the firewall, but still have access to the Server Via RDP.
I am aware that it is possible to create a smart vpn account on the router and access the local network that way, and then RDP using the Local IP of the server its a method I have tested and it works! That said I do not know if this VPN RDP connection would work if I block all ports and IP in the Firewall settings?

I was hoping someone could tell me.

Thanks

Jamie Newman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
16 Jan 2020 17:37 #2 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Smart VPN and RDP

Jnewman93 wrote:
I am aware that it is possible to create a smart vpn account on the router and access the local network that way, and then RDP using the Local IP of the server its a method I have tested and it works!

I would say that is the way to go...there seem to be many exploits targeted directly at RDP.

That said I do not know if this VPN RDP connection would work if I block all ports and IP in the Firewall settings?

I believe it will, because the end point is the Router itself, and the firewall doesn't seem to affect that (at least not on my 2860n)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.