DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

BT FTTP Vigor 2862ac WAN speed oddity...

• splanton
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
24 Jan 2020 15:29 #1 by splanton
Hi,
I have an BT Openreach FTTP connection to an ONT and then via a certified cat6 cable to my router of choice.

I have a home office utilising a (total!) of 30 meters of certified cat6 underground cable laid in conduit from my ONT.

During the first few months of FTTP service I used the BT Hub 6. No issues with speed on any testing service.

Wireless 5g measured at source was giving 297 down / 50 up.
Hard wired (using more cat6) in my home office was giving up to 312 down / 52 up.

Test were done using a variety of speed test services and servers.

Now that I am over the 'settling in period' with my BT service I want to swap to my trusty Vigor 2862ac for some VPN tunnelling and guest networks etc.
I installed the latest firmware (3.9.1.3_BT) and did a factory reset on the router. Connected the WAN port to the ONT and fired up the router.

I am getting 200/50 5g wireless at the router and only a maximum of 93/50 in my home office, wired. Nothing else has changed, only the router. No settings have been changed on the Draytek apart from the admin password and the WAN 2 settings (PPOE).

I really don't want to go back to a HUB 6 but I am scratchingmy head on this one. Any ideas where to look for the speed issue? Am I missing something fundamental?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
24 Jan 2020 15:42 #2 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: BT FTTP Vigor 2862ac WAN speed oddity...

splanton wrote:
I am getting 200/50 5g wireless at the router and only a maximum of 93/50 in my home office, wired.

Perhaps a dodgy ethernet drop lead, connecting @ 100Mbps, instead of 1Gbps?

How's performance when connecting directly (wired) to the 2862?

You could try resetting the 2862 to as near to default as possible - firewall off etc ... (just as a test)

• splanton
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
24 Jan 2020 16:00 #3 by splanton
Replied by splanton on topic Re: BT FTTP Vigor 2862ac WAN speed oddity...
I was kinda going down that thought route myself, but I have not swapped any patch leads. Swap from hub 6 to Draytek and get a speed drop.

Did my due diligence though and swapped the leads to some new ones I have in stock. No difference.

Turned off the firewall, no difference.

It does 'look' like a port issue 100Mb/s instead of Gb/s but It is probably just coincidence.

Is there anything (like load balance) that is initially on that could cause throttling of a port speed?

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
24 Jan 2020 18:05 #4 by hornbyp

splanton wrote:
Is there anything (like load balance) that is initially on that could cause throttling of a port speed?

One of the "Bandwidth Management" options turned on?

Just maybe ... "Hardware Acceleration"?

...even more clutching at straws: Inappropriate MTU setting on WAN port?

• splanton
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
24 Jan 2020 20:28 #5 by splanton
Replied by splanton on topic Re: BT FTTP Vigor 2862ac WAN speed oddity...
MTU is a standard 1500.
Hardware acceleration makes no difference.

Tried a different 2862 (I have a spare) - same problem.

So it looks like the BT hub 6 is going to perform better than my Draytek kit! :(

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
24 Jan 2020 21:48 #6 by hornbyp
I can't believe the 2862 isn't easily capable of handling that sort of throughput ... surely it's a misconfiguration somewhere :?:

How about the WAN Port?

The "Physical Type" can be set to "Auto negotiation", which is probably the default. How about forcing it to be "1000M full duplex"?