DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

BT FTTP Vigor 2862ac WAN speed oddity...

• splanton
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
25 Jan 2020 08:56 #7 by splanton
Replied by splanton on topic Re: BT FTTP Vigor 2862ac WAN speed oddity...
I had the same idea and tried changing it to full 1000 full duplex and it would not connect.

The odd thing is that the other router is in an environment load balancing a 50/20 bt with a 300/20 virgin feed and it pops out 300mb all day long. I know the cabling at my place is good because the BT hub runs at a happy 318/54 at the moment. The only thing I can think of is that the Draytek is sensing something on the cabling that the bt hub is not and throttling back.

More testing needed...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• splanton
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
25 Jan 2020 09:27 #8 by splanton
Finally borrowed a laptop...
Every LAN port on the 2862 reports 80-90mb so it’s not the cabling.
I am getting 200mb on 5g wireless but only <100mb on the ports. I am stumped.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
25 Jan 2020 20:43 #9 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: BT FTTP Vigor 2862ac WAN speed oddity...

splanton wrote:
Every LAN port on the 2862 reports 80-90mb so it’s not the cabling.

I'm sure it's not - but for future reference, this is probably the best £3.13 I've ever spent :) - CPC Duratool D03181 Cable Tester

and he wrote:
I had the same idea and tried changing it to full 1000 full duplex and it would not connect.
...The only thing I can think of is that the Draytek is sensing something on the cabling that the bt hub is not and throttling back.

It's the strongest contender so far, I think. All similar tales-of-woe I can find, involve relatively small drop-offs in performance, rectified via MTU/MSS changes. Yours is substantial, and firmly into 100Mbps instead of 1Gbps territory...

Out of curiosity, do the LEDs on the 2862 WAN port (and ONT, if it has them), say the link is at 1Gbps?

I was reading, that if you try and force a particular link speed, while the other end is set to auto-negotiation, it often doesn't work.

How about interposing a gigabit-capable switch, between the 2862 WAN and the ONT? (This could even be the LAN-side of your spare 2862 at a pinch; though remember to disable DHCP) . It might be better,though, if it was something non-Draytek. (The Hub 6 with DHCP turned off?)

• splanton
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
26 Jan 2020 21:44 #10 by splanton
Thanks for the input. I was straight onto my tester and tested everything. I never trust a cable, even a new one (actually, especially a new one).

Believe it or not I forgot those little LED lights do more than flash a bit! I will do dome more tests and check that the red indicator is on signifying 1Gb.

The WAN2 is definitely 1Gb because I was getting circa 200Mb on the 5g wireless even though the wired connection looks more like a 10/100.

I have put in a support email to Draytek outlining the issue.

I'll report back with some test results and any feedback from support. I will do a quick test with the hub 6 as a buffer, I have loads of those. I can't use the other 2862 as it is running our other office.

👍

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
27 Jan 2020 18:06 #11 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: BT FTTP Vigor 2862ac WAN speed oddity...

splanton wrote:
I was straight onto my tester and tested everything. I never trust a cable, even a new one (actually, especially a new one).

I've been chasing some entertaining cable faults of late - I'd not realised just how many of my huge stash of drop-leads are actually Cat 5. Having just moved house, these had got deployed all over the place :oops:

The little tester I linked to, is great for a quick sanity-check of a cable - but some that passed that test, I have discarded anyway. I have a Netgear GS105E that has a 'cable test' function (something that's mysteriously missing from other models in the same range). This has identified quite a few drop-leads that have an Impedance Mismatch (internal kink, or bad connector?)

I have one cable that is just not seen at all by a Netgear switch ... yet I know from the markings on it, that this was previously my Vigor 2860n <-> Virgin Media Modem patch lead ... for well over a decade :o

and he wrote: The WAN2 is definitely 1Gb because I was getting circa 200Mb on the 5g wireless even though the wired connection looks more like a 10/100.

Drat, I forgot about that :roll:

OK another thought ...
... "Flow control", or "Jumbo frames" ... both these can be enabled/queried via the Telnet Cli "Port" command. Highly unlikely, I know :|

• splanton
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
28 Jan 2020 11:58 #12 by splanton
Flow control is an interesting one. I can set it on my WAN but apparently not on the individual ports. I have now tested several routers and all of them provide Gb except the Draytek.

Usually I would be cursing the cable and finding a geek with an occilosope but right now with all the same cabling different routers are working. I am loathed to 'fix something that ain't broke'.

I would love to tell the WAN ports on the Draytek to stop messing about, do the Gb thing and deal with any errors.