DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2862 - Inconsistent Internet Connection and Other Issues

• danielgwalter
  • Topic Author
More
12 Apr 2020 10:14 #1 by danielgwalter
Good morning,

Apologies for the long post, however I would rather get all the facts down here first!

My network is as follows

Draytek 2862ln - Router
-- WAN2 - Three Mobile 4G connected via ethernet to a Huawei router
-- WAN3 - Three Mobile 4G connected via internal sim card

My LAN is Connected to the Draytek via a Netgear Gigabyte switch
My WIFI is connected to the LAN in AP mode to the Netgear Switch and is a Netgear Orbi Mesh

By means of a backstory, I live in an area that does not get good quality ADSL or other services therefore I have to provision my internet connection using mobile technology. Traditionally this means I am locked to around 20mbs.

If I connect to my WIFI, and route/speed test I see the traffic routed to the Draytek and then out via one of the mobile internet connections. Sometimes this hits 20mbs but more often than not it is as low as 2mbs per second or does not connect at all.

If I connect directly to the draytek wifi I get the same results (cutting the mesh out of the equation)

If I connect directly to the huawei wifi I get consistent 20mbs

Therefore based on my testing it looks like the fault lies with the draytek config!

my LAN IP's are assigned by the draytek and are on the 192.168.1.x range
my internet router is assigned 192.168.8.1
all Lan devices are using 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 for DNS routing and have the draytek as the default gateway (if connected to the Orbi wifi).

I have tweaked the MTU down to 1440 as a test and see no noticeable difference, I have turned off all QoS and Firewall rules and I have updated the firmware to the latest version.

Any ideas as to how I can diagnose this further as I am looking to present two internet connections in a load balanced format and at the moment am having to bypass all of this technology to get a stable and useable internet connection.

To say its driven me insane is an understatement!!

thanks

Dan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.