Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 2952 on Glide Full Fibre service?

• mikefl0
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
16 Apr 2020 12:06 #1 by mikefl0
We have a client who has recently upgrade their broadband service from a FTTC service from Glide (formally Warwicknet). Their new service is the Glide full fibre 300 FTTP package with a download speed of 300Mb/s.

They are presently using a Vigor 2860 which suits all their requirements (and ours) perfectly. They have therefore asked us to supply and install a new DrayTek router with an SFP fibre WAN port suitable for direct connection to the Glide fibre connection coming off the street. Glide have supplied them with a Zyxel VMG8825-B50B, which works okay, but doesn't tick all the boxes.

We have been recommended to use the Vigor 2952 by DrayTek pre-sales, however Glide have advised us that they have had not tested this router on their network and so cannot assure us that it will work okay without any issues.

Our client is insistent that they ideally want to have a one box solution.

Any advice or pointers would be appreciated please.

Regards,

Mike

Telecom Systems UK

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• saqqara
  • User
  • User
More
16 Apr 2020 16:13 #2 by saqqara
Replied by saqqara on topic Re: Vigor 2952 on Glide Full Fibre service?
The Draytek should work, with all ISP connections in the UK will either be IP or PPOE. All Drayteks can handle this connection types

We have a client on FTTP from another supplier, and there are using a Draytek 3900 without any issues.

Not sure if you will get away with one box, as you still need the unit to terminate the internet connection, before connecting it to any router.

• mikefl0
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
16 Apr 2020 19:26 #3 by mikefl0
Replied by mikefl0 on topic Re: Vigor 2952 on Glide Full Fibre service?
Hi Saqqara,

Thank you for your reply, it's very helpful :-)

As I've not had an opportunity to visit the yet, due to the current restrictions, I've not ascertained if there is any other kit, such as an optical network terminator (ONT), installed other than the Zyxel router.

If the router has a SFP port, is an ONT device still needed?

My apologies for the questions but my knowledge of FTTP is fairly limited.