Sporadic issues with Vigor 2680 and AP900

• theaon
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
27 Apr 2020 22:59 #1 by theaon
Hi,

I'm running a Vigor 2680 with AP 900 in universal repeater mode. Devices connected to 2.4 GHz WiFi via the AP are having sporadic internet connectivity issues which I'm struggling to diagnose. I'm pretty sure its the AP (or the connection between router and AP) rather than the router or the internet connection because when the problem occurs, I can turn off the AP, my laptop connects to the router (assuming I'm in range) and I have a strong internet connection. I don't seem to have any problems when connected directly to the router WiFi.

To diagnose, I'm running a python script to continually ping the AP, Router and a site on the internet. I have another that runs a speedtest-cli in a loop. These are also recording the details of my connection: the SSID, BSSID, signal strength etc. When the problem occurs, the ping's generally seem fine, the Wifi signal strength is good but the speedtest bottoms out and often fails entirely. Sometimes the problem subsides after 5-10 mins. Other times it seems to go on for much longer. Other times it's fine for hours (sometimes a day or more) without a problem. I don't think it is caused by the number of connected devices or heavy usage... sometimes there can be multiple devices connected with concurrent video calls and other heavy usage with no problems. It seems to be quite random (although it's probably not!)

I've upgraded the firmware. I've moved the router and AP closer. I've changed the channels to avoid interference from other, nearby WiFi networks. I've tried analysing the syslogs (but I don't really know what I'm looking for!). I'm a relative novice with this stuff so don't know how to take this investigation further.

I have a family of chromebook users who are threatening to lynch me over this issue! Can anyone suggest what might be causing the issues or advise how I can diagnose further?

Thanks in advance.

Theaon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
29 Apr 2020 22:30 #2 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Sporadic issues with Vigor 2680 and AP900

Theaon wrote:
I'm running a Vigor 2680 with AP 900 in universal repeater mode.

If you're not using 5GHz Wifi, you could try using "AP Bridge-WDS" mode The description in the manual is not too helpful/hopeful, but I think it should play nicely with the 2860. Supposedly, WDS mode is better than Universal Repeater Mode ...

and he wrote: I can turn off the AP, my laptop connects to the router (assuming I'm in range) and I have a strong internet connection. I don't seem to have any problems when connected directly to the router WiFi.

Is this still the case, if you move to the physical location of the AP900?

To diagnose, I'm running a python script //snip// but the speedtest bottoms out and often fails entirely.

I'm not clear - where is this script running and to what is it connected? Vigor 2860 or AP900? :?:

Can anyone suggest what might be causing the issues or advise how I can diagnose further?

I suppose it could be something environmental - Zigbee/Bluetooth/DECT/Microwave oven.

Can you plug something into the AP900's LAN port, to act as a Test Source/Sink? ... then you can prove/disprove that it is the client<->AP900 part that is the issue.

(I use an Android APP call " WiFi Speed Test Pro " that has a server portion (available in a variety of flavours. I paid for the 'Pro' version to get rid of the ads. There is a companion Analyser app. If nothing else, the Web site is an interesting read!)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.