Dual 2860’s and High Availability

• mcal27
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
19 May 2020 19:42 #1 by mcal27
Dual 2860’s and High Availability was created by mcal27
Hi, I’ve battled with what must be pretty much the slowest vdsl connection on the planet for long enough, and after finding out that 4g sims were available cheaply I decided to utilise one to increase our Internet performance. I already owned a standard 2860, but (as I’d had mixed results with usb 4g modems) I decided to grab a 2860 Lte. Found one on ebay for a good price and planned to use this as our main router. I wanted to test it first so I switched off all NAT functions and put it on the network in addition to my 2860 running vdsl. It works great but occasionally (every 3-4 days) drops the 4g.Logic told me to use the vdsl as failover but I had a taste for the the 7meg upload speed as opposed to the 0.5 on vdsl, so I bought a cheap huawei 4g router and connected it to the wan ethernet on the lte 2860.
While researching failover I read about High availability mode and figured I could utilise both 4g connections on the 2860 lte running in loadbalance then have the non lte 2860 as the secondary router in high availability config.

I seem to be getting issues with the secondary router (non lte 2860) falling over and dropping its connection. I’m pretty sure high availability is configured ok. The status display is usually ok. Sometimes I get a ‘progressing’ status on the second one and of course a fault when it drops its connection etc.

Question is should a 2860 lte and a standard 2860n be ok in high availability? Are they similar enough?

Any good articles on troubleshooting this setup?

Thanks in advance. Alan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mcal27
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
19 May 2020 23:06 #2 by mcal27
Replied by mcal27 on topic Re: Dual 2860’s and High Availability
Well it’s early days but it appears that the culprit for the crashing 2860n is having the High Availability sync enabled. Still grateful to hear from anyone who is using High Availability successfully, or indeed if they had issues as I have.

Alan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.