Draytek Vigor 3910 with BT FTTP connection

• qaz4169
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
21 May 2020 11:44 #1 by qaz4169
Hi All,

I have a FTTP install date in June and am looking to update my wifi network and router to accommodate in my house.

The BT Smart Hub 2 is a limitation so am looking to replace it with a 3910 and a Ruckus wifi solution of a mix of AP320's and AP510's. The AP's will be ethernet connected for backhaul so I will not be reliant on a mesh network.

I'm struggling to find any set up guides for the 3910.

Do I bypass the BT modem and smart hub and connect the fibre link direct to the 3910 or do I retain the BT modem (exclude the hub) and connect via ethernet to the 3910? I'm not clear.

Additionally, what is the best set up based upon the preferred connection method? I just cannot find anything on line that walks you through the set up process and note, I'm a hobbyist rather than a professional so please keep responses simplistic so I can understand LOL.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rolandrat
  • User
  • User
More
22 May 2020 21:23 #2 by rolandrat
Replied by rolandrat on topic Re: Draytek Vigor 3910 with BT FTTP connection
I have a 3910 and BT FTTP.
The rest of my network is Unifi switches and access points.

Dont need smarthub in FTTP setup, there isnt any modem in the FTTP version of the SH2.

If you have never used a Draytek before it will be a learning curve, I'd suggest going to the draytek.com site and viewing their demo interfaces eg http://eu.draytek.com:13910/
Dont want to put you off, but if you are not technically minded its a bit of a minefield - even now for me after using them for over 10 years I still get things wrong and a lot of it is trial and error.

You basically just setup a WAN connection using the network cable direct from the Openreach ONT to whichever WAN port you choose on the 3910.
Then setup a PPPOE connection for that WAN port with username of bthomehub@btbroadband.com and password of BT. Thats it.

• qaz4169
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
23 May 2020 18:28 #3 by qaz4169
Thanks RolandRat.

Do I tag Vlan or not? I've read somewhere I shouldn't?

• rolandrat
  • User
  • User
More
23 May 2020 18:35 #4 by rolandrat
Nope no VLAN tagging or anything more complicated than PPPOE username and password above.

• qaz4169
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
26 May 2020 08:30 #5 by qaz4169
Thank you.

Cannot wait, my BT copper line just keeps dropping and they've been out 3 times now.

• rolandrat
  • User
  • User
More
26 May 2020 08:40 #6 by rolandrat
I was the same, ADSL (4Mb max) for years, now also waiting for Cityfibre to go live, hence the 3910 to feed home 10Gbe network with potentially 1800Mbps internet. :lol: