DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

I cannot get Sky+ on demand/cinema/catch up to commence a download.

• rolandrat
  • User
  • User
More
03 Jun 2020 19:15 #13 by rolandrat
Gigaclear by any chance?

I have waited so long to get fast internet, bought so many routers so I can tweek and manage the small amount of bandwidth I had (Synology is great for that btw), ive always loved my Drayteks and now in the space of less than 6 months we have gone from no Fibre to Openreach FTTP (which is live now) and Cityfibre/Vodafone Gigafast (waiting to go live, all groundworks been done for months) both turning up, hence the 10Gbe enabled Draytek 3910, I'll be feeding both max speeds (2x900Mbps) available to my lan and also a mobile backup (EE this time).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
04 Jun 2020 00:30 #14 by hornbyp

therave wrote:
Odd though isn't it that even if we cannot solve the problem I haven't found anything across the internet/forums etc speculating as to the likely cause despite all the expertise out there. Someone must at least have an explanation even if no solution :!:

There are not that many things you can change. It could just be the Mobile Broadband responds too slowly - i.e. slower than the Sky Box expects. Or perhaps it's Three's Adult Content filtering that's blocking it? ...

I did try a brief experiment, linking my 2860 to my phone's wifi hotspot (as per this https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-wan-wireless ). I have a Sky Q box and my phone sim is by IdMobile (who I believe is Three in disguise). My experiment failed at the first hurdle - despite having a link established, I had no DNS - and a 'ping' that wasn't stable :cry: ) (The loss of Internet connection also caused a Blue light to start flashing on the front of a Sonoff Wifi plug, which woke my 'other half' up :cry: :roll: )

Given that the Sky box's download mechanism is undocumented and its 'error messages' are of no practical use, the only way to get to the bottom of it, is to do a compare-and-contrast of the Mobile Broadband vs a working connection, with Wireshark.

More
04 Jun 2020 02:09 #15 by therave
rolandrat, yes "Gigaclear"!! I've been following reviews etc on the forums for 18mths plus...and even allowing for the naive few who don't understand that once the signal has reached their property it is up to them to sort wi-fi etc....the reviews are woeful. Irritation is I'm approx 200m from BT exchange and copper cabled direct to it: I would have thought that would make it cost effective to simply run the fibre overhead on the poles...but what do I know :D

hornbyp, agreed that's the major irritation, I think Sky "take a leaf" out of Microsoft's book for providing useful error messages- in fact they're worse - no codes at all, just "failed" or nothing!

Ref wireshark - I was also considering whether syslog might reveal anything?

• gscott99
  • User
  • User
More
10 Jul 2020 23:06 #16 by gscott99
Hi,

I've yet to try a 2862, but with the 2860 and BX2000 I found the following helped:

• Sky doesn't work with multiple WANs. You have to set up a rule ('load balancing/route policy' I think) to force the use of one WAN. I used the fastest. By contrast, Amazon Prime works great with muliple WANs/ WAN aggregation

• On the Sky Q box, set the DNS to use Google's 8.8.8.8

• Ethernet seems to work better than wireless

cheers, Gordon

More
11 Jul 2020 17:28 #17 by therave
Gordon, that's what I've done to get it to work i.e. set up a routing policy to use ADSL only; unfortunately the ADSL, for me, is usually slower than the LTE of the dual WAN...BUT I've also discovered, for whatever reason, Sky does "not like" anything to do with mobile broadband; I think it must somehow be detecting the IP as belonging to a mobile company and enforcing some form of blocking their end.

• gscott99
  • User
  • User
More
11 Jul 2020 20:14 #18 by gscott99
Did you also have to manually set the DNS on the Sky box to 8.8.8.8?

I've customers with Draytek routers and Sky - I had to do this for both of them.

It definitely is fiddly to get working right compared to Netflix and Amazon Prime :shock: