Modems that support option 61

• pulck
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
08 Jun 2020 17:53 #1 by pulck
Modems that support option 61 was created by pulck
I'm using a Vigor 130 in bridge mode to connect to Now TV fibre (same as Sky fibre) with Option 61 enabled. Recently my trusty Asus RT-AC66U router died and I'm considering what to replace it with.

My understanding is that, if you're using Option 61 on the Vigor 130, you also need a router that supports for Option 61. True?

If so, are there alternative Vigor modems that support Option 61 but which don't need the router to support it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• saqqara
  • User
  • User
More
09 Jun 2020 12:06 #2 by saqqara
Replied by saqqara on topic Re: Modems that support option 61
Any draytek routers will support option 61,

You do not need a Vigor 130, as you can connect the Draytek router with an VSDL port directly to the phone socket

More info here on setting up a Draytek with sky - https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/sky-fibre-setup-guide

More
09 Jun 2020 15:59 #3 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Modems that support option 61
Well you can, but many users are unhappy with the number of re-boots required when most config settings are changed and the possible consequences for DLM. Since you already have a 130 it may make more sense to buy a router without built-in modem? Anecdotally, the 130 appears to provide a more stable connection than the modem/router models.

• pulck
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
10 Jun 2020 10:51 #4 by pulck
Replied by pulck on topic Re: Modems that support option 61
Thanks for your replies.

If I keep the Vigor 130, I believe I need a router that also supports Option 61. It states this about the Vigor 130 on the link you gave ( https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/sky-fibre-setup-guide ):

"This is a modem that does not perform authentication, the router connected to it needs to support DHCP Option 61"

Which routers supporting Option 61 - which is by no means a standard feature on most routers - do people recommend?

More
13 Jun 2020 13:00 #5 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: Modems that support option 61

Piste Basher wrote:
Well you can, but many users are unhappy with the number of re-boots required when most config settings are changed

If you are doing several changes, you can just not reboot and go to the next menu you need, make those changes etc. and reboot at the end. Most people don't change their settings very often and "DLM" doesn't make much difference to most users either.

Forum Administrator