DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Will WiFi on 2860ac participate in roaming with connected AP902s?

• kampernaut
  • Topic Author
More
12 Jun 2020 11:12 #1 by kampernaut
Hello

I have a 2860ac and a couple of AP902s attached by Ethernet. Will the WiFi network served by the 2860ac act as an access point and participate in AP Assisted Mobility aka roaming?

If so, is that automatic or must you turn on some setting in the 2860ac configuration like you do on the AP902s?

I don’t have access to the admin pages at the moment to see what’s in there.

Thanks

K

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
12 Jun 2020 16:15 #2 by hornbyp

Kampernaut wrote:
I have a 2860ac and a couple of AP902s attached by Ethernet. Will the WiFi network served by the 2860ac act as an access point and participate in AP Assisted Mobility aka roaming?

If so, is that automatic or must you turn on some setting in the 2860ac configuration like you do on the AP902s?

The 2860 does have the rudimentary "Router-assisted Client Roaming Parameters" function. There's no "participation", as such though - it just makes a unilateral decision and boots the client off. If it decides to come straight back, it will allow it. I should imagine the AP902 is the same...

and he wrote:
I don’t have access to the admin pages at the moment to see what’s in there.

This is a 2860Ln: http://eu.draytek.com:12860/ , but might be close enough :wink:

More
13 Jun 2020 08:08 #3 by piste basher
I'm still struggling with the dark arts of AP "assisted" roaming - e.g. I have band steering enabled on my AP903s. An Amazon Echo connected to an AP in the Kitchen on 5GHz with an RSSI of -55dB. If I turn on "only do band steering if the RSSI is better than -78dB" on the AP, then it immediately kicks off the Echo device, which then connects to a more distant AP in the garage. It appears that any change to the roaming parameters "turns off" the wifi on the AP for a while, and the network takes some time to sort itself out again, if one is lucky.

• kampernaut
  • Topic Author
More
13 Jun 2020 10:13 #4 by kampernaut
Thank you both. Very helpful.