Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Virgin Hub in Modem Mode

• loboexe
  • Topic Author
More
12 Jun 2020 19:47 #1 by loboexe
Virgin Hub in Modem Mode was created by loboexe
New to Draytek

Is anybody using a 2862ac with a Virgin Hub in modem mode?

I can set the Hub to modem only (purple light on the front) connect the DrayTek to the hub and get WAN2 to connect.
I connect a laptop to the LAN ports on the DrayTek
WAN2 will not connect if you select to obtain an address automatically, only when I give it one in the hub range (192.168.100.x)
The WAN2 details go green and I can access the DrayTek GUI and the Virgin GUI from the laptop.
I am unable to get out to the internet.
I can ping the Virgin HUB but not an IP like 8.8.8.8.

The DSL light on the router only ever blinks slowly, but the Virgin Hub seems to be connected OK as I can view channel information on the hub GUI page.
I have tried multiple combinations of DNS settings on the WAN2 and LAN1 configuration.

Am I missing a step in the DrayTek setup? LAN1 is being routed to the HUB as I can connect the HUB GUI from the LAN network 192.168.1.x I just cannot get past it to the Internet, or is the Virgin HUB

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
13 Jun 2020 01:16 #2 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Virgin Hub in Modem Mode

loboexe wrote:
Is anybody using a 2862ac with a Virgin Hub in modem mode?

Ahh, those were the days :D

I was a long time user of Draytek routers with Virgin Media and its predecessor (NTL)...
...the first being the 2300, the last one the 2860n.

and he wrote:
WAN2 will not connect if you select to obtain an address automatically, only when I give it one in the hub range (192.168.100.x)
The WAN2 details go green and I can access the DrayTek GUI and the Virgin GUI from the laptop.

Assuming you have "The Hub" successfully configured in modem-mode, you should set WAN2 on the 2862 to "Static or Dynamic IP", "Obtain an IP address automatically", "WAN Connection Detection"="Always On" ... I can't remember the MTU)

When you initially connect up to Virgin Media, the first address you acquire (with a very short DHCP lease time), is on the 192.168.100.0/24 network. Then, some time afterwards, you are given your 'real' Internet address.

From what I remember, it could be very reluctant to move to that second step - especially when there had been a change of equipment at your end. Usually, it's just a matter of persevering with multiple reboots (of Hub). On other occasions, I had to resort to using the 'Clone MAC address' (WAN >> Internet Access | "Use the following MAC Address") feature. For many years, I used the same MAC address across multiple Draytek Routers and Virgin Media hubs. Occasionally, temporarily disabling the feature made it kick into life!

When all else failed, I used a laptop plugged directly into the Hub (still in modem mode). The laptop needs its firewall on and all Microsoft services unbinding - else you will be attacked/hacked! In this state, you can issue multiple IPConfig /Release and /Renew commands and watch the IP addresses being allocated (or not!). You can even clone your 2862's WAN MAC address into the laptop, so that once you get it working, you can seamlessly swap back.

In short - most of the time, it just works. Every once in a while, it starts "attention seeking" and gets its knickers in a twist :D

• loboexe
  • Topic Author
More
13 Jun 2020 20:07 #3 by loboexe
Replied by loboexe on topic Re: Virgin Hub in Modem Mode
Hi

Thanks for the reply, so just to make sure I have your answer correct, The IP that the DrayTek should/will end up with is not a 192.168.100.x address.

It should be given one somewhere in the Virgin range?

I think that is where I have got it wrong, in my head the "hub" was still hubbing :) giving me an internal address. Now I realise that is rubbish as it is just a modem, even though I read this several time it did not click.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
13 Jun 2020 20:33 #4 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Virgin Hub in Modem Mode

loboexe wrote:
Thanks for the reply, so just to make sure I have your answer correct, The IP that the DrayTek should/will end up with is not a 192.168.100.x address.

It should be given one somewhere in the Virgin range?

Correct! - if you look at the DHCP details, the lease is very short (15 mins?), so it's only transitory.

Apparently, the use of that IP range - and especially 192.168.100.1 for the modem itself - is written in tablets of stone, somewhere in the DOCSIS specifications. Even when the link is 'properly' up, the modem continues to respond to 192.168.100.1 - by some magic means - intercepting data that is on its way to your Default Gateway, somewhere in Virgin land. (I've tangled with this a lot over the years - my main LAN is also 192.168.100.0/24 and I refused point-blank to change it!)

(to add)

Now I realise that is rubbish as it is just a modem

A modem, with a management IP address.

• loboexe
  • Topic Author
More
19 Jun 2020 13:47 #5 by loboexe
Replied by loboexe on topic Re: Virgin Hub in Modem Mode
Thanks for your help on this.

Yesterday I started all over again and the first time I powered cycled the Virgin box after resetting the DrayTek to obtain the IP automatically on WAN2 it connected with a"real" IP from virgin.