• ens
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
21 Jun 2020 13:27 #1 by ens
IPv6 no LAN global IP was created by ens
Hi All

I'm new to IPv6 but have a 2926 set up as follow.

ISP has issued xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:: /64 range with gateway as plus 1 so I have set the router WAN static IP as xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx::3 and the gateway as xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx::1, I can ping ipv6.google.com so all good.

Looking at the LAN setting I have switched on IPv6 but in the address list I only have the link local address no global address for the lan side on my router. I assume the local clients will use the link local address as there gateway but do I need a global address on the routers LAN interface. If so do I just select an address for example xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx::5 or should I use ULA with manual prefix and insert my xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx as the prefix.

I want to be sure my LAN side is right before I start to test IPv6 connectivity on my clients.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• richard1234
  • User
  • User
More
23 Jun 2020 13:30 #2 by richard1234
Replied by richard1234 on topic Re: IPv6 no LAN global IP
I would have expected an ISP to delegate a shorter prefix (e.g. /60 or /56) to your 2926 so that it can then split this range up. Each LAN device would normally send a Router Solicit message and get a Router Advertisement reply allocating a /64 bit range to the LAN device for it to use for Stateless autoconfiguration (SLAAC) to generate the other 64 bits of the address. This is easier than using static addresses.

Have you tried setting WAN IPv6 Connection type to PPP?

• ens
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
23 Jun 2020 20:41 #3 by ens
Replied by ens on topic Re: IPv6 no LAN global IP
Just as an update to this I was not getting a LAN side IPv6 addresses via SLAAC but as the O bit option was ticked I was getting IPv6 DNS server addresses.

As soon as I entered a global IPv6 address (in addition to the link local address) in the IPv6 LAN settings page the SLAAC started to work correctly and my laptop used the 64 bit pre fix and created its own random address. My laptop did not use EUI64 but I think this maybe a windows 10 issue rather that the router.

Client is happy that their IPv6 only kit in now up and working on their LAN. Unfortunately I could not access this kit to see what information it had obtained from the router.

As a side note the ISP provided /64, as they had requested a fix IPv4 address they also got a fixed IPv6 hence why this was entered into the router on the WAN side.