Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Couple of Questions

• matth73
  • Topic Author
More
24 Jun 2020 06:34 #1 by matth73
Couple of Questions was created by matth73
Hi,

I just bought my first Draytek router yesterday, the Vigor 2862LN, which I am using to load balance BT Fibre and Three LTE and have been very happy so far. I have a couple of potentially simple questions, so please excuse my naivety, as I am fairly new to this.

Bind IP to Mac
I would like to bind all the IP addresses to the mac addresses to make it easier for me to troubleshoot and understand what is going on. There is the option to do this in the router but I would also like to have a friendly name to make it even easier to track. I see that on some devices it picks up a Host ID automaticlly, sometimes useful, others not. There is also an option to put a comment.

My question is, can I set the Host ID anywhere myself, as I cannot find a way to do this? Then, can this Host ID be used throughout the interface rather than the IP address? For instance, it would be great to see the Host ID on the Data Flow Monitor page rather than the IP Address.

Syslog
I have plugged in a USB stick into the router to store the Syslog entries but find the interface really difficult to find anything within the huge amount of entries in there. For instance, simply finding firewall entries over the last day would require me to go through every single log file and filter on log type from what I can see, rather than simply have a filter over all entries by this type. I am sure I must be missing something here, is there a better way to search, filter, etc. Syslog entries?

Firewall
I would like to ensure I have some basic firewall settings enabled and have enabled all of the DoS defence tick boxes in addition to any preexisting defaults. Is there any best practices here that someone can suggest or is this it?

Load Balancing
It's early days and I have left the default load balancing on for my connections across BT Fibre and Three LTE. Now, the Three LTE can get speeds up to 110 d/l and 30 u/l, whereas the BT Fibre can do 24 d/l and 3 u/l. So, I would expect the router to automatically be using the Three connection more, or do I need to do something here to optimise?

LTE Uptime
I have noticed this seems to be less than the BT VSDL one and is often so. I am therefore assuming it is losing its connection. What would be the best way to diagnose why this is occurring? Or should I expect this to be the case for LTE?

Many thanks in advance for any help,

Matt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jun 2020 12:47 #2 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: Couple of Questions
Bind-IP-to-Mac has a 'comment' field where you can name each device.
If you use the DrayTek Syslog utility instead of a USB stick, it sorts all the types and makes them more readable.

Forum Administrator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.