DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

New to DrayTek, basic firewall help please

• kettlehead
  • Topic Author
More
28 Jun 2020 15:33 #1 by kettlehead
New to DrayTek, basic firewall help please was created by kettlehead
Hi, wondering if anyone might be able to help / reassure.

Have just recently bought a 2862, mainly because my old set up (FireBrick) couldn't handle IGMP easily, my experience with the BT SmartHub was so awful and I wanted to have something that was quick and secure on the firewall. DrayTek looked like it was the ideal solution. I have read the manuals, many times (not terribly well written), read as many support articles as I can find, but am still left unsure how the firewall on this 2862 actually works.

1. The documentation says there are filters, SPI and DoS protection, I can see how to manage the filters and DoS stuff but not the SPI - Is this "Enable Strict Security Firewall"?

Previously I would create a Firewall rule to say "block everything from the WAN" and the FireBrick would create session rules to allow traffic through based on LAN requests.

2. With the 2862, do I need to create a similar "drop all" rule in the Data Filter to make my LAN secure or is this handled by default?

3. Are there other things I should watch out for? I read in another post on this forum that depending on which features are enabled, different session rules will be created in the background to allow services through the firewall automagically. Is this correct?

Apologies if this all seems rather basic but some encouraging words from Draytek seasoned campaigners would be really appreciated.

Many thanks,

Phil

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.