Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2926 Load balancing and VPNs

• peterw82
  • Topic Author
More
04 Jul 2020 01:12 #1 by peterw82
2926 Load balancing and VPNs was created by peterw82
Hi everyone,

My networking knowledge is pretty terrible and I am still learning so sorry if this doesn't make much sense.

I am using a 2926ac router to load balance two WANs, which is all working fine.

However I would like to establish two separate VPN connections on each of the WANs and still maintain load balancing between the connections. I just wondering is this even possible with this router or will this never actually work?

I have managed to successfully establish a VPN connection using IPsec Tunnel on each WAN connection to two different NordVPN servers. However to make use of these VPN links it now seems that I need to setup a separate routing policy to route some or all of my LAN traffic to just one VPN. It doesn't now seem possible for the router to load balance across the two VPNs in the same way it could across the WANs?

I am probably doing everything wrong but if what I am trying to achieve isn't possible it would be good to know so I don't waste any more time.

Thanks in advance.
Pete.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
04 Jul 2020 01:45 #2 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: 2926 Load balancing and VPNs

peterw82 wrote:
However I would like to establish two separate VPN connections on each of the WANs and still maintain load balancing between the connections. I just wondering is this even possible with this router or will this never actually work?

There's a Draytek "Help" article here: https://www.draytek.com/support/knowledge-base/4919#drayos

However, this would require configuration at the far end, that is probably not possible, given that it's a 3rd party. I don't know if any other method exists.

• peterw82
  • Topic Author
More
04 Jul 2020 12:44 #3 by peterw82
Replied by peterw82 on topic Re: 2926 Load balancing and VPNs
Thanks for your reply.

I would normally agree with that, however does it make any difference that I am using 2 separate VPN servers?

I am using one server for one WAN connection and another different one for the other WAN connection

I would have thought this was the same as load balancing two WANS with the exception that now their termination points have changed. But presumably the VPN will forward any traffic to the right destination

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
04 Jul 2020 14:28 #4 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: 2926 Load balancing and VPNs

peterw82 wrote:
I would normally agree with that, however does it make any difference that I am using 2 separate VPN servers?

But do NordVPN allow you to configure the GRE settings at their end? From that guide, GRE tunneling seems to be the key technology used to get load balancing working.

(I should at this point, state that my knowledge of GRE is 'slim to non-existent'. My attempts to use it on my own VPN, achieved nothing at all :cry: ... though it wasn't load-balancing I was trying to achieve)