• playerone
  • Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
04 Jul 2020 09:34 #1 by playerone
Router port VLANs was created by playerone
Hi all,

I have a 2862ac configured with 4 VLANs.
Each VLAN 1-4 uses LAN 1-4 and each LAN has a different /24 address range with DHCP. Each VLAN is on a separate SSID. This works great, which SSID I connect to determines which IP range I get an address in. There is no inter-LAN routing.
Port 1 on the 2862 is configured as a trunk port with access to VLANs 0-4. Connected to that is a G2260 with the ports set to different VLANs. Which port I plug a device into determines which IP pool it is in and thus what else it can reach. All good so far.

I would like to use ports 2-4 on the 2862 in the same way as the ports on the switch are configured, e.g. plug into port 2 = get an address in VLAN 2 etc. Each port has one VLAN ticked on the VLAN configuration page but it is not working. The ports are alive (in that the link status is connected) but no address is served to the connected device. Even setting fixed IP, gateway & DNS on a connected device still results in a dead connection so it's not a DHCP issue.

On the switch to move a port between VLANs requires configuration of pvid and of tag-group. Whereas on the router there's just a tick box per port. Unless there's a second setting somewhere?

Any ideas where I might be going wrong with my configuration?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
04 Jul 2020 14:48 #2 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Router port VLANs
Are you using VLAN tags?

If so, the Vigor (at least my 2860) does not support the automatic addition/removal of tags that (most?) switches do. This means that (apart from on P1), the Vigor expects to see tagged packets from each attached device. On a PC, this can be a pain in the neck to achieve - often requiring an add-on download for the network adaptor.

If you're not using VLAN tags, ignore all that :D

• playerone
  • Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
04 Jul 2020 19:36 #3 by playerone
Replied by playerone on topic Re: Router port VLANs
Yes I am using tagged VLANs, they are necessary to get the trunk port to function. Port only VLANs was my initial plan but wouldn't work right.
Marvellous. The device I want to connect to a router port is a powerline adapter to pass one VLAN to a remote location. No powerline adapters available in the EU support VLAN tagging.

Thank you hornbyp, at least I know it's not me being dumb. Sigh.

Why do hardware manufacturers such as DrayTek insist on adding features d,e,f,g,h & i before getting features a through c working completely, reliably and correctly across their product portfolio? 28xx series is supposed to be up there with the managed switches. Clearly not. (I do hope draytek read these fora)

I'll run another cable back from the switch to where I want to locate the powerline 'home' end. A round trip of about 30mtr when it could have been 2mtr from the router.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
05 Jul 2020 03:05 #4 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Router port VLANs
Thoughts...

Can you re-organise the Vigor, so that Port 1 is used for your Powerline device and the G2260 is connected via one of the others? (In theory at least, no tag is required on P1, if the option is selected - I can't remember if I actually got this working or not)

Could you connect the Powerline adaptor to a port on the G2260 instead? (I'm not familiar with it - I don't know how many ports it has).

Finally, you could add a small managed switch between the Vigor and any non-tag capable devices. My favourite is the Netgear GS105Ev2, which I know can do the required tagging/de-tagging - can be yours on Monday for £23.02 :)

Note for the future:

If you try and access those separate SSIDs via a Universal Repeater, you'll probably find you get the same symptoms as with your Powerline adaptor (or at least, I did :cry: ). You then have to add the VLAN Tag, to the wireless adaptor of the connecting device (... and remove it, when not going via the Repeater :roll: )