iOS 14 Dynamic MAC addresses

• arj
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
08 Jul 2020 23:14 #1 by arj
iOS 14 Dynamic MAC addresses was created by arj
Given iOS 14 includes the ability to use a random MAC address for WiFi (to prevent tracking) how are people configuring security to block the kids from using the internet after a certain time?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jul 2020 19:19 #2 by the pit
Replied by the pit on topic Re: iOS 14 Dynamic MAC addresses
Simple setup mac address filtering so if they change the mac address they get no internet.

More
28 Jul 2020 18:49 #3 by the pit
Replied by the pit on topic Re: iOS 14 Dynamic MAC addresses
Noticed my android phone doing this by default. I didn't have strict bind on and the internet still worked. I turned this silly function off the only networks I connect to are my own and works I don't do hotspots or internet cafes so don't see the point in it.

More
04 Aug 2020 19:04 #4 by ncollingridge
Replied by ncollingridge on topic Re: iOS 14 Dynamic MAC addresses
A lot of this stuff is addressing theoretical risks that normal people will never be exposed to. Maybe if you were a government official or someone the security services were interested in, but as I honestly don't think anyone would ever be interested in my WiFi traffic it's not a security feature that I personally need. However if these features are not provided then companies get criticised, so that's why they provide them.

Personally I think the default should be off for a feature of this type, with the option of putting it on if you've got a good reason to be paranoid.

More
09 Aug 2020 18:22 #5 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: iOS 14 Dynamic MAC addresses
It's not about intercepting your traffic, it's about tracking you - e.g. London Transport tracking you as you move around the tube network/stations etc. (that's just one use that has been made of WiFi beacons).

Forum Administrator

More
09 Aug 2020 21:25 #6 by ncollingridge
Replied by ncollingridge on topic Re: iOS 14 Dynamic MAC addresses
Ah, yes, of course - the fear of a rogue state.

I'm definitely behind that. Although as things stand at present I don't have any fears about it from a personal POV, you never know when things might go pear-shaped in the future.

People always used to say that democracy would protect us from a rogue state, but you just have to look at how Trump is continually trying to pervert proper process (and even in this country with the embarrassing proroguing episode) to appreciate that our current personal protection from the state might not always apply.