DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2860Ln LTE Not Connecting

• aspire7736
  • Topic Author
More
22 Jul 2020 19:40 #1 by aspire7736
2860Ln LTE Not Connecting was created by aspire7736
I've been trying to get our 2860Ln to connect to the LTE. We've tried several SIM cards from various providers that work in other mobile devices and it has been stuck on detecting, with a terminal "wan lte stus" response of "Detecting. (Offline)" .Under the LTE Hardware Version, no version is reported. Would I be correct in assuming that this is a fault with the LTE PCI card?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Aug 2020 14:51 #2 by andrew2010
Replied by andrew2010 on topic Re: 2860Ln LTE Not Connecting
I'm trying to do exactly the same thing with a 2860Ln. Have you had any luck yet?

In Online Status > Physical Connection, under LTE Status we've got Device Exists under USB Modem and a Status of Connecting - with a good signal strength. But above that is showing in red text with no uptime and all speeds at zero.

Under WAN > Internet Access we have set the APN to three.co.uk and no username or password required (We're using a Three SIM card). I've been trying the Enable PING on and off to see if either works but no dice. The WAN Connection Detection is set to ARP Detect and MTU at the default of 1500.

In LTE > Status it reports SMS service ready and an RSSI Signal of -81 dBm (Good). I did try sending some SMSs to see if that worked and the router reported sent successfully but they never arrived.

Where are you seeing the LTE Hardware Version?

Hope this might be helpful and if anyone has any suggestions, they will be gratefully received.

More
04 Aug 2020 12:36 #3 by quantum explorer
Replied by quantum explorer on topic Re: 2860Ln LTE Not Connecting

In Online Status > Physical Connection, under LTE Status we've got Device Exists under USB Modem and a Status of Connecting - with a good signal strength. But above that is showing in red text with no uptime and all speeds at zero.

Maybe I am being too simple here and it can be a gotcha, but have you both enabled the WAN for 'Always On' for testing? (WAN>General Setup>LTE>Active Mode).

If not, the device is designed to do exactly what you are experiencing, that is default 'Failover'. Therefore if you have another active WAN connection the Dryatek LTE will NOT dial out a connection. Alternatively pull the active WAN connection and it should dial-out.

Took me a while to get my head around this, that is, it will not do anything unless you either force always-on or the active ADSL/VDSL/FTTP connection fails.

Hope this helps and it is a simple fix for you both.

More
04 Aug 2020 13:10 #4 by andrew2010
Thanks very much for the thought! I have enabled 'Always on' as I am hoping to augment my mediocre VDSL speeds with 4G.

Strangely enough, after several days, the router just this morning started to report that the 4G WAN was 'operational'. I don't know why it now appears to be working, but suspect favourable atmospheric conditions because I figured out that the 4G signal was very poor when I switched to '4G only' in WAN > Internet Access.

I'm not sure how well it's really working because there is no 'sync rate' etc. provided as there is for VDSL. But the RSSI is -75 dBm, which I think could be better. I've just had an external antenna delivered, so will see if that improves things when I get it installed.

Hope this is useful. And thanks again Quantum Explorer.

More
04 Aug 2020 17:53 #5 by quantum explorer
Replied by quantum explorer on topic Re: 2860Ln LTE Not Connecting

RSSI is -75 dBm

Glad you got it sorted - 75dBm, in my experience is pretty good. I have one on a site that holds onto LTE at -113dBm (No Signal officially), and even communicates just fine... mad!

Forcing 4G I think can result in the Operator mast saying 'Nope' and the modem hanging, not being allowed to switch down to 3G, which often can be quicker than a poor signal 4G connection. The DrayTek modems are pretty good at switching between the two depending upon atmospheric / signal conditions.

When it is working it is pretty good kit.

Just to confirm, are you seeing something like this in LTE>Status:

Max Channel TX Rate: 50 Mbps
Max Channel RX Rate: 150 Mbps

?

More
04 Aug 2020 19:35 #6 by andrew2010
Thanks for that. The RSSI drifs up and down a bit but good to hear that's not so bad. I'm hopeful for the antenna.

Thanks for the tip on 3G/4G - I'll try that, although 3G would be very much a failover speed I guess, rather than make a material difference to the connection.

I am seeing:

Max Channel TX Rate: 50 Mbps
Max Channel RX Rate: 150 Mbps

Definitely not getting that but I'm not sure quite how the router switches between connections - my IP address is showing my Mac is connected via VDSL...