Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Advice on using ADSL router as a failover for VDSL

• jrudman
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
28 Aug 2020 09:55 #1 by jrudman
Hi - I'm a newby, so please forgive if the answer is in a knowledgebase article.
I have a 2860n-plus which is the main household router and connected to a fibre (FTTC) line.
I also have a separate physical phone line with cheap ADSL from a different ISP which I use as an emergency backup when there is a power cut or other fibre problem - the rest of the time it is switched off. This uses an ISP-supplied router: Zyxel AMG1302-T11C. The manual is here https://download2.zyxel.com/AMG1302-T11C/user_guide/AMG1302-T11C_V3.00.pdf
Now, I've come to realise that in theory the Draytek can use the redundant ADSL line as a failover, or better still a load balancer (when my son's downloading a game update). But the configuration is blindingly full of jargon.
I got as far as connecting the Zyxel to the WAN2 port and enabling WAN2 as Failover when WAN1 disconnects, but it didn't work when the fibre went down - which it is currently doing regularly since OpenReach replaced a pole yesterday.

Can anyone give me some pointers about what, if anything, needs changing on the Zyxel (DHCP for example?) and how to complete the Draytek setup?

Cheers
John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• netjet1980
  • User
  • User
More
28 Aug 2020 10:15 #2 by netjet1980
Make sure the Draytek and Zyxel are running on different local IP address subnets (for example 192.168.1.x and 192.168.2.x), have DHCP active on your Zyxel router. Connect WAN 2 to the Zyxel. When you setup WAN 2, just configure it for DHCP and always on. If everything is working, WAN 2 should then show as active on your Draytek dashboard.

• jrudman
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
28 Aug 2020 10:40 #3 by jrudman
Thanks for the quick reply. To demonstrate my ignorance:
"Make sure the Draytek and Zyxel are running on different local IP address subnets" - does that mean changing the Subnet Mask on the Zyxel? Or just changing its IP address on the Home Networking -> LAN Setup tab?

• netjet1980
  • User
  • User
More
28 Aug 2020 19:16 #4 by netjet1980
I am not too familiar with Zyxel router menus I am afraid. But there should be a field to change the router's IP address. That's the only thing you need to change usually. Netmask will be the same. So if it is currently set to 192.168.0.1, change it to 192.168.1.1, routers then usually adjust all the other settings automatically.

We just want to have two different subnets, so the Draytek can do its routing. After that the Zyxel should assign your Draytek an IP from its own subnet. If it worked, you should then see WAN2 in green displaying a local IP from your Zyxel's subnet (as long as you have configured WAN2 as always on and not failover).

• jrudman
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
28 Aug 2020 19:34 #5 by jrudman
Thanks Netjet1980!
It's looking good. Haven't tested in anger as the internet has been in use all day, but will pull the plug later and see what happens. All the best.

• netjet1980
  • User
  • User
More
28 Aug 2020 20:43 #6 by netjet1980

jrudman wrote:
Thanks Netjet1980!
It's looking good. Haven't tested in anger as the internet has been in use all day, but will pull the plug later and see what happens. All the best.

You can use a routing policy to test the connection itself if you want. This would not interrupt the internet for others.

1.) Routing --> Load Balancing/Routing Policy
2.) Create one routing policy and use your PC's/Laptop IP as source IP, all the rest on any
3.) Use WAN2 as main connection and then safe. Make sure your new policy is enabled.

Now all traffic from your machine should be automatically routed via WAN2. You can confirm this with a ping or tracert command to an internet IP (e.g. 8.8.8.8). Alternatively just run a speedtest (speedtest.net) to confirm you are on the correct connection.

If that works everything is set up correctly and the router should automatically route all traffic via WAN2 if it detects WAN1 being down (as long as WAN2 is set as failover on WAN1).

The multi wan support and routing policy with load balancing is one of the biggest selling points for Draytek routers and with some smart routing rules and QOS you can streamline your connections greatly.