Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Issues setting up Vlan and DHCP

• andykeen
  • Topic Author
More
05 Sep 2020 11:30 #1 by andykeen
Issues setting up Vlan and DHCP was created by andykeen
Hi All.
Would anyone be able to offer some guidance and help on our issue.

For Monday we need to set-up a Vlan for a client to separate-out some devices from their network and of course a Vlan seems to be the best way to go. We also need the DrayTek to issue IP's via the Vlan's DHCP. The DHCP IP Scope doesn't matter at the moment, it can be anything but the Draytek itself needs to have an IP of 192.168.16.4 for the Windows network Default Gateway (Windows issues IP's for the main LAN) - so this Vlan can be 192.168.17.xxx for example.

We have two DrayTek's to choose from a 2620n and 2630n. The 2630n seems more capable at Vlan, but I am no expert.

I have 25 years of IT Experience but never had to configure from scratch a Vlan.
So far, on the 2630n, we have created the Vlan and allocated it to the LAN port 2 on the Draytek device but when I connect my laptop to the DrayTek port I do not get an IP from the scope for that Vlan - I am not sure where I am going wrong.

I am also connecting this Draytek to a Cisco Layered switch which I can hopefully work out after I have the Draytek working.

I would really appreciate it if I can get some help by return.
If there is anyone on here that charge for their services and could remote to our network and configure for me that would be great also

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thank you
Andy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
06 Sep 2020 01:19 #2 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Issues setting up Vlan and DHCP

AndyKeen wrote:
So far, on the 2630n, we have created the Vlan and allocated it to the LAN port 2 on the Draytek device but when I connect my laptop to the DrayTek port I do not get an IP from the scope for that Vlan - I am not sure where I am going wrong.

I suspect the part of the puzzle you have yet to discover, is to do with VLAN tags.

The Draytek Vigors do not support the automatic adding/removing of VLAN tags - so any data arriving at your port 2 without one will be ignored. (This has been the case with the Vigors I've tangled with ... and I'm making an assumption they're all the same). You might think that because the Port is only a member of a single VLAN, the Vigor would work it out for itself...but it doesn't. Even cheap switches such as my favourite Netgear GS105E can automatically tag incoming traffic (and remove tags from outbound traffic) ... and you may find you have to interpose such a device, to get the effect you want.

Unfortunately, it seems quite rare to be able to specific a VLAN tag on the network adaptor of a desktop/laptop PC, without downloading extra software - but the feature seems more common on Server NICs. (There's always exceptions though - the ancient, tiny Samsung NC-10 notebook can do it!). Hyper-V clients also support VLAN tags on their virtual NICs.

UPDATED

My response refers to tagged-vlans - and you didn't actually say that's what you are doing ... so I might be barking up the wrong tree!

See if Draytek's words of wisdom help: https://www.draytek.co.uk/information/our-technology/vlans

• andykeen
  • Topic Author
More
06 Sep 2020 15:07 #3 by andykeen
Replied by andykeen on topic Re: Issues setting up Vlan and DHCP
Hi Hornbyp

Thank you for your reply.
I think you were on the right track - however I have found that not adding a Vlan Tag has worked out better - when I tried adding a Vlan Tag I couldn't get stuff to talk and was more complex setting-up the Cisco.

I am coupling the Draytek to a Cisco Layered POE Switch (LAN Port 2) and by adding a DHCP Relay from the Cisco the whole system now seems to be working as it should. (Draytek acting as DHCP Server on Lan Port 2)

Plugging a device into the Cisco picks up an IP from 17.xxx on Draytek Port 2
Port 1 on the Draytek is plugged into our Windows Network on 16.xxx with the Draytek relaying from the Windows Server DHCP.

VLan tagging will be my next learning curve - at the moment simple seems to work.

Thanks again HornbyP for your help
Regards
Andy