DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 2862n rebooting at 00:00 every Sunday

• af7567
  • Topic Author
More
20 Sep 2020 19:24 #7 by af7567

hornbyp wrote:
To add - at one point - in the Virgin Media days - Draytek had me switch to one of the 'vectoring versions' (for want of a better phrase). I couldn't understand what difference this would make (given the 2860 was using WAN2 to connect to a VM Super Hub. But it did :!: )

Oh, I think the BT firmware versions are the ones that do vectoring so I was thinking that the ISP just meant it wasn't compatible with their FTTC service - but I swapped anyway to one without BT. No idea which modem code I should have picked but since it is using WAN2 and not the VDSL port I didn't think it should matter.
But you saying switching to a vectoring version made a difference for you, I'm wondering what other hidden differences there are :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Sep 2020 10:15 #8 by admin3

af7567 wrote:

hornbyp wrote:

af7567 wrote:

Code:
CURRENT_VERSION : 3.9.4_RC5

Is there any particular reason for running this Release Candidate?
Maybe the public release will behave better? https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/downloads/vigor-2862 (Currently 3.9.4.1)

I wondered why it said RC5 too, but that is actually the public version 3.9.4 which was the latest version when I downloaded it a few weeks ago. It's not the BT version though because I had been told by the ISP to not use a BT firmware version. But since 3.9.4.1 is out now I should give that a try when someone is back in the office :)

Just to clear this up, if the router logs a restart it records the internal firmware version so that DrayTek can work out which specific firmware build recorded the issue, which is very useful for determining whether a restart occurred on a previous firmware or the current one. The error information needs to be linked to a specific firmware to make any sense of the crash information, you can see that firmware build information for yourself by entering "sys ver bl" in the router's CLI.
In this instance, it does appear that the router's recorded a restart with the current firmware if it had 3.9.4 loaded.

I would not be too surprised if the wifi schedule had something to do with the crash given the timing. To confirm that you would need to make a support ticket and get that reported to a firmware engineer who can then look up which processes were involved. Then they can work out what caused it with information from you on what happened.

Forum Administrator

• af7567
  • Topic Author
More
21 Sep 2020 11:44 #9 by af7567

admin3 wrote:
I would not be too surprised if the wifi schedule had something to do with the crash given the timing. To confirm that you would need to make a support ticket and get that reported to a firmware engineer who can then look up which processes were involved. Then they can work out what caused it with information from you on what happened.

I will see if it still happens with 3.9.4.1 and then email support if I get the crash again. The WiFi schedule was also set to "force down" during the week at night too with no problems. But at the weekend it was forced down 00:00-23:59 Saturday and Sunday. This means that when the clock ticked over to Sunday the schedule would force down again even though it was already down from the Saturday schedule, and the router didn't like a double force down. This is my best guess anyway.