DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Recent Issue with Drayteks and Printers SMTP

• ryanneil39
  • Topic Author
More
02 Oct 2020 16:31 #1 by ryanneil39
Hi,

I work for an ISP and we have a lot of customers with ADSL's and FTTC connections with Draytek 2830 and 2860 on the end. Recently we have seen issues with customers reporting Scan to email has stopped working on their printers and they seem to think the Drayteks are blocking this for some reason despite working in the past. I put this down to issues with the printer itself as nothing had changed on the draytek however we have had several other customers report the same thing.

I was just wondering has anything changed on these Drayteks are there any new configuration requirements for scan to email to be allowed through these Draytek's at all?

Regards

Ryan Neil

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
03 Oct 2020 02:08 #2 by hornbyp

ryanneil39 wrote:
I work for an ISP...

oh do tell which one :D
(I'm sure folk in here would be impressed by an ISP that actually puts some effort into fixing its customer's problems. (I instantly know it's not Talktalk :wink: ))

and he wrote: and we have a lot of customers with ADSL's and FTTC connections with Draytek 2830 and 2860 on the end. Recently we have seen issues with customers reporting Scan to email has stopped working on their printers...

This is just a user forum - so no Draytek presence. However, as a user of the 2830 and 2860 myself - for the last 5 years or so - I can tell you something about them.
They're both quite elderly now (esp. the 2830) and are not receiving any new firmware features. The last fix to the 2830 was in Aug 2018 (IPV6 PPP change). The 2860 has had a few more general fixes, the last being in June this year :-
Improvements
Code:
1. Improved Web GUI security 2. Customised DDNS profiles support IP address of a provider 3. Improved handling of DrayDDNS IP address updates. In some configurations, the router did not periodically check status with the MyVigor DrayDDNS server 4. Resolved a web interface display issue caused by a “ ‘ “ character in the name/description of a Firewall Filter Rule 5. Improved compatibility with Windows 10 IKEv2 EAP client to reduce the number of password requests

"Scan to email" covers a multitude of sins, but I'd have thought you'd have to go out of your way to stop it working. I would expect this to turn out to be a Printer issue too.

• adrianh54
  • User
  • User
More
03 Oct 2020 06:21 #3 by adrianh54
Replied by adrianh54 on topic Re: Recent Issue with Drayteks and Printers SMTP
You don't say what operating system your customers are using , remember that this involves a computer and drivers to achieve the scan.

I would guess that your customers are using Windows 10 and the printer drivers are the issue. Microsoft have released several "updates" that are wrecking peoples systems as the "new" drivers included date from 2008 ! So best practice at the moment is to deny Windows Update the ability to install any device drivers.