• leighwhitling
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
05 Nov 2020 21:39 #1 by leighwhitling
Wifi Password renew each morning was created by leighwhitling
Hi All

Does the DrayTek brand offer a function that will renew a Wifi's password each day ? i need to be able to setup a system that will automatically renew the Wifi Password each day and will hopefully email the new password to an Admin who can then give it out to people should they wish.

The solution will be for a care home and if the children are behaved then they earn the password for the day. this is why the password needs to be changed each morning as the staff will give the passwords to the children that have been good only...

I look forward to hearing ideas and answers, thank you in advanced.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
06 Nov 2020 00:46 #2 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Wifi Password renew each morning

LeighWhitling wrote:
Does the DrayTek brand offer a function that will renew a Wifi's password each day ?

No.

Anyway, you're being far too soft :o

Of course, the UN wrote: In 2016, a report from the Human Rights Council of the United Nations General Assembly declared access to the internet to be a basic human right, integral to allowing individuals to "exercise their right to freedom of opinion and expression."

https://www.vice.com/en/article/3kxmm5/the-case-for-internet-access-as-a-human-right

• leighwhitling
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
06 Nov 2020 09:19 #3 by leighwhitling
Replied by leighwhitling on topic Re: Wifi Password renew each morning
Thank you for your input.

That post is about giving houses free internet if they can not afford it. the house can afford it and have it... i assume you dont have kids because if you did then you'll know, in this day in age it is pretty much the only thing you can do to get their attention / behaviour under control. Gone are the days when children respected grown ups. no means no :)

• adrianh54
  • User
  • User
More
06 Nov 2020 12:46 #4 by adrianh54
Replied by adrianh54 on topic Re: Wifi Password renew each morning
I can understand the idea you have as my son is on the autistic spectrum.

However :

Does the DrayTek brand offer a function that will renew a Wifi's password each day ?

This could be a dangerous thing to have as 1) it could be hacked and 2) your staff cold end up being locked out.

The solution will be for a care home and if the children are behaved then they earn the password for the day

Another point that will surely fail , Johnny is good and gets the password, do you really think that it won't take more than a few seconds for every other child present to get the password?

You would need each child to have their own device and a unique password.

If you have separate devices a Ubikey for each PC would be a better way to go.

I haven't used a DrayTek router for a long time so don't know if this is possible, on my ASUS routers I can simply bind each device to MAC and IP address , then allow / disallow internet access, a simple on/off switch.

• leighwhitling
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
06 Nov 2020 15:04 #5 by leighwhitling
Replied by leighwhitling on topic Re: Wifi Password renew each morning
I raised my concerns about lets say Johhny giving the password out and they said if Johnny gives out the password then everyone loses internet access. Harsh but i guess they all have to work together then.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
06 Nov 2020 19:36 #6 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Wifi Password renew each morning

LeighWhitling wrote:
I assume you don't have kids because if you did ...

My daughter has a grade A, A-Level in Computing. She was always one step ahead of my efforts to control her 'screen time' :wink: