DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2925N WAN settings for EE router

• forum_vimes
  • Topic Author
More
07 Nov 2020 09:58 #1 by forum_vimes
2925N WAN settings for EE router was created by forum_vimes
I have EE's DSL router [smart hub firmware 0.05.02.04290-ee] which I want to plug into my Draytek dual wan cable router. WAN1 has an existing working internet connection.

I assume the Draytek WAN option I should use is "Static or Dynamic IP" and it asks for the following:

https://snipboard.io/nWoAqX.jpg

I have turned off DHCP on the EE Smart Hub. I have no port forwarding rules on it. Connected LAN1 of the EE Smart Hub to WAN2 of the Draytek.
I manually entered under "Specify an IP Address" above from the EE's broadband advanced settings:

Draytek "IP Address" = EE "Broadband IP Address"
Draytek "Subnet Mask" = 255.255.255.0 [equal to EE's router]
Draytek "Gateway IP Address" = EE "Default gateway"
Cloned the MAC address and put WAN to always on.

Draytek recognises the WAN connection, but my PC says no internet. Internet is now not working for some web addresses eg amazon.com but however is for other pages and does follow the links on the pages that do work. If I open a cmd line window and ping google.com it does resolve to an IP address but has "request timed out". Ookla speedtest webpage loads after a long while but does not work thereafter. Looks like some conflict?

As soon as I unplug the EE router from WAN2 all is fine.

EDIT: changed previous message as I now have a WAN2 connection, but looks like a conflict somewhere.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• adrianh54
  • User
  • User
More
07 Nov 2020 10:41 #2 by adrianh54
Replied by adrianh54 on topic Re: 2925N WAN settings for EE router
If your connection is PPOE and the EE device is set a modem only, your DrayTek router would require PPOE and the appropriate account username and password.

• forum_vimes
  • Topic Author
More
07 Nov 2020 17:19 #3 by forum_vimes
Replied by forum_vimes on topic Re: 2925N WAN settings for EE router
Hi EE device doesn't have a modem only or bridge setting. I just turned off DHCP, but would that not mean that the EE device is still providing user name and password to my ISP? And are you saying that my WAN2 live connection (from the EE device) on the draytek when using dynamic IP is actually a false reading [and maybe causing this conflict]?

Thanks

• adrianh54
  • User
  • User
More
07 Nov 2020 18:49 #4 by adrianh54
Well, if you have 2 routers set up like that both are routing and you have double NAT.

• forum_vimes
  • Topic Author
More
07 Nov 2020 22:54 #5 by forum_vimes
Replied by forum_vimes on topic Re: 2925N WAN settings for EE router

AdrianH54 wrote:
Well, if you have 2 routers set up like that both are routing and you have double NAT.

But I have turned off DHCP on the EE router so it should not be assigning ip addresses?

• adrianh54
  • User
  • User
More
08 Nov 2020 05:40 #6 by adrianh54
You would still have the firewall /NAT running on both devices.

EE use Brightbox routers which ca definitely be set in bridge mode whereby the firewall/DHCP and PPOE negotiation are disabled.

https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Broadband-home-phone/Brightbox-2-bridging-mode/td-p/796320

Are you sure your device doesn't have these settings which are what you need?