• monty_zoomer
  • Topic Author
More
17 Dec 2020 13:53 #1 by monty_zoomer
VLAN Question was created by monty_zoomer
Hi

Newbie here - with probably a dumb question
I am new to networking but looking to get my home network more secure

I bought a Unify AP which is configured and working but I am a little confused on something that is happening when I change some settings on my router

Initially, all for ports were on Lan 1 (no vlans) and all was ok with the AP - whilst the AP was plugged into port 1 I changed the setting so that ports 1 and 2 were on Lan 1 and 3 and 4 were on Lan 2

The router rebooted and the AP disconnected - why would that be

Again sorry for asking something which is probably very simple

Regards

Monty

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Dec 2020 16:32 #2 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: VLAN Question
By "disconnected" do you mean you can't access its IP address on the LAN? Can't think why that would be.

If wifi isn't working, did you add your SSID(s) to Port 1?

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
17 Dec 2020 16:50 #3 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: VLAN Question

Monty_Zoomer wrote:
Initially, all for ports were on Lan 1 (no vlans) and all was ok with the AP - whilst the AP was plugged into port 1 I changed the setting so that ports 1 and 2 were on Lan 1 and 3 and 4 were on Lan 2

The router rebooted and the AP disconnected - why would that be

What sort of Router is this?

What do you mean by "the AP disconnected"?

Can you fill in some more of the configuration - IP addresses, for example.

• monty_zoomer
  • Topic Author
More
17 Dec 2020 17:22 #4 by monty_zoomer
Replied by monty_zoomer on topic Re: VLAN Question
Hi

Thanks for responding

The router is a 2862 unit without wifi

The wifi access point is a unifi UAP AC Pro device - it had an DHCP provided IP address 0n the 192.168.1.x subnet which was assigned initialy to all ports and then just to port 1 and 2

When you look at the AP status in the unify controller - it shows either connected or disconnected - when the router rebooter after adding the VLAN info it caused the AP to disconnect

Hope this helps and makes sense - in the long term, I want this on the other LAN to seperate wifi devices from my main network but haven't managed to get over this hurdle yet

Thanks

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
17 Dec 2020 23:23 #5 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: VLAN Question
Ah, so "connected / disconnected" is a Unifi concept - wrt to the Unify Controller. It's worth saying I know nothing at all about Unifi products :wink: - you may have to ask a parallel question on their support forum, unless someone turns up on here, who does.

For most simple AP's - connected to a Vigor LAN - a Wi-fi client (STA) connects to them, gets an IP address via DHCP - the details of which the AP just passes transparently back and forth. The client then communicates over the LAN, oblivious to the presence of the AP.

Some APs don't have a DHCP client built-in, so they need to be manually given an IP address/subnet mask and possibly a Default Gateway - so you can access their management interface, in order to configure them. It sounds like the AC Pro does have a DHCP client though)

Does the AC Pro device have to be in contact with the Unify controller to function?
How does the AC Pro connect to the Controller? (Wifi or wired)

Is the AC Pro still getting an IP address? (can you ping it?)

You need to establish if this is a Unifi issue - i.e. is some part of its infrastructure broken? ... or a simple IP routing problem?

Other than this lack of connection to the 'controller', what are the fault symptoms?

Also, the title of your post is 'VLAN question'...are you actually making using of VLANs?