Improving 2862ac line stability

• diveǃdiveǃ
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
29 Dec 2020 10:44 #1 by diveǃdiveǃ
Improving 2862ac line stability was created by diveǃdiveǃ
I replaced an older Draytek router + BT Modem earlier this year with a 2862ac. We have an up to 80Mb VDSL service. With the BT modem , I would typically get around 50Mb down and get about 20 line drops a month. With the 2862ac, I can get it to sync at the full 80Mb but its not stable, so I've set the SNR margin to max and it is much better at about 64Mb sync. I get 7/8 line drops per month, almost all in the early hours of the morning, so they haven't really bothered me. I'm running 3.9.2_BT and have tried both modem codes, with no real difference. We have a Broadcom cabinet.
Is it worth trying one of the other modem codes, and if so, which one ? Anything else I can try ?
Thanks
Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
30 Dec 2020 17:19 #2 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Improving 2862ac line stability

dive!dive! wrote:
Is it worth trying one of the other modem codes, and if so, which one ? Anything else I can try ?

In answer to the first two questions: Definitely and all of them!
In answer to the third: Pay attention to the state of the house wiring (sockets, filters etc).

I moved into my current abode just over a year ago. It's a couple of years old and it had 'structured cabling' installed (I use the phrase loosely, since it appears to have been done by an electrician :roll: )

Having tried every VDSL capable device I possess - in every available position in the house - I finally settled on the 2860n in the garage, adjacent to the master BT socket. I then tried every available modem code in the 2860n. The 'VT4' variety gave the best/fastest result (my cabinet appears to be Broadcom too). The net result was the speed increased from its initial 45Mbs or so, up to 62Mbps (ish). A final twiddle with the 'VDSL SNR' command extracted 2 or 3 more Mbs).

The positioning of the 2860n (in the integral garage) isn't ideal - and meant I had to use VLAN tagging to get the various networks to where I wanted them (only a single UTP cable went from the garage to the hallway, where I found 4 more hiding behind a blanking plate, that go to various other locations). Lots of buggering about / experimenting - but well worth the effort!

BTW - how are you monitoring/measuring/detecting these 'line drops'? It's not something I've noted as an issue (though they may well be occurring, unnoticed by me!)

• diveǃdiveǃ
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
01 Jan 2021 12:03 #3 by diveǃdiveǃ
Replied by diveǃdiveǃ on topic Re: Improving 2862ac line stability
Thanks for the reply.
I've tried the other two 3.9.2 variants over the last day. The MDM0 file was about the same as the _BT version. The MDM2 file would only sync at ~40Mb so I havent continued with that. I've just installed 3.9.5_BT but note that has the same modem code as 3.9.2_BT so I'm not expecting much...I see there is a fourth version available for 3.9.5 so may try that in a few days.
December has been particularly bad for dropouts and I suspect it has a lot to do with noise from Christmas lights...
I monitor in two ways - I have the router send me an email if the line drops and I can also download traffic stats from my ISP which lists individual sessions - a new session is started after a line drop. I have several years stats on this so I can see dropouts per month , week, time of day etc etc. As long as the dropouts are in single figures per month and happen in the middle of the night, its not really an issue, but I would like to know what causes them! We allegedly might be getting FTTP in the village this year and anticipate that should be better all round.
Steve

• adrianh54
  • User
  • User
More
01 Jan 2021 17:17 #4 by adrianh54
Replied by adrianh54 on topic Re: Improving 2862ac line stability
Which ISP/provider are you using?

• diveǃdiveǃ
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
01 Jan 2021 18:03 #5 by diveǃdiveǃ
Replied by diveǃdiveǃ on topic Re: Improving 2862ac line stability
Clara - definitely not 'mainstream' ! They are more business/SOHO than consumer. Been with them for 20 years....what I like is that if I have an issue at their end (very rare) I can call and get to speak with someone within 30 seconds...

• adrianh54
  • User
  • User
More
01 Jan 2021 18:38 #6 by adrianh54
Replied by adrianh54 on topic Re: Improving 2862ac line stability

dive!dive! wrote:
Clara - definitely not 'mainstream' ! They are more business/SOHO than consumer. Been with them for 20 years....what I like is that if I have an issue at their end (very rare) I can call and get to speak with someone within 30 seconds...

Great provider there )) I only wondered because if it was a TalkTalk based service you require a different VLan Tag value . Priority value should be "2" on a TT service and it makes a big difference.