DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2925N as a managed switch / AP

• forum_vimes
  • Topic Author
More
03 Jan 2021 14:32 #1 by forum_vimes
2925N as a managed switch / AP was created by forum_vimes
I currently have two ISPs on two totally separate networks 1: 2925N and 2: consumer ADSL modem router.

I am powerlining the 2925N to an unmanaged switch which then connects via wired ethernet to some computers in set A.

Fibre ISP --- 2925N -- ethernet port 1 --- powerline --- unmanaged switch --- Set A computers

Set B computers connect to the consumer ADSL modem router via wifi. So Set A and set B are physically seperated.

I want to be able to use the powerline for additional Set B computers (Set B2) via wifi. Set B2 computers are too far away from the consumer ADSL modem router.

I am thinking of getting the DrayTek Vigor 2862ac ADSL/VDSL 802.11ac Wireless Router and set up dual wan and vlans to prevent set A and B communicating. So:

2 ISPs (1 adsl and 1 fibre) --- 2862 ac --- ethernet port 1 --- powerline --- managed access point --- Set A (ethernet) and Set B2 (wifi) on separate VLANs

Can I use my 2925N as the managed access point? Will it take the VLAN tags the 2862ac provides?

My alternative is to do a mesh network for network 2 and keep it all physically separate but I like the idea above if it works.

EDIT: spoke to draytek uk support. ic an't do the above, 2925N can't work as a a) managed AP; b) managed switch or c) either. None of their products can do c) either. So proposed solution was get a managed switch and then managed or un managed AP on the managed switch.

so 2 ISPs (1 adsl and 1 fibre) --- 2862 ac --- ethernet port 1 --- powerline (with tags)--- managed switch --- Set A (ethernet) and Set B2 AP on separate ports

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
04 Jan 2021 15:55 #2 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: 2925N as a managed switch / AP

forum_vimes wrote:
Can I use my 2925N as the managed access point? Will it take the VLAN tags the 2862ac provides?

I expect it would - but possibly with one or two caveats.

I recently used an old 2830n to do something like this, i.e. provide an additional AP for my I.O.T. network. The VLAN tagging worked fine and the wireless clients were happy.

The issues were to do with a lack of functionality on the LAN side of the 2830n. Obviously, it has no DHCP client for the LAN, so needed a static IP address. This was expected, but I hadn't bargained on the difficulty in setting up a default route for this device (my 'main' LAN is 192.168.100.0/24 and my I.O.T. LAN is 192.168.5.0/24).

Clients (using DHCP) were fine - being given 192.168.5.254 as their Default Gateway - but I struggled to manually set the 2830n up the same way. This meant that to actually manage the 2830n, you had to connect to it via Wifi :roll:

I finally got it to accept something like 192.0.0.0/8 => 192.168.5.254 ... but it was still occasionally 'glitchy'.

• forum_vimes
  • Topic Author
More
05 Jan 2021 12:37 #3 by forum_vimes
Replied by forum_vimes on topic Re: 2925N as a managed switch / AP
OK thanks, I remmeber setting routers up in a bridge mode often means you lose direct access...